Got the product, now how to get sales

the back & forth in this discussion has been really good, learning a bit more with each response about how folk both analyze & articulate perspectives

i know a few people that were able to get their kickstarter projects fully funded, a couple were even able to form brands by way of it…i can’t say if any really turned it into a business, though that may eventually be their plan, most had/have full-time day jobs & were creating/hustling on the side and then decided to give it a go. one thing that i can remember from one of their experiences was that under (or over) estimating demand can be really costly, so being up front about what & when you can deliver is super important…and ultimately you could still be in the same place, even if the kickstarter is successful…there a quote i read recently:

“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

i think it is a kind of generally applicable axiom, there are usually a few ways that all kind of “successful” things have parallels and conversely an almost infinite bunch of ways that things can fall apart…i think what has been pointed out, in order to limit that variance, is that you kind of have to decide what you want this to be, for whom it should be, and maybe that helps you define how it should be?

looking at the other mentioned 3d printed shoes companies, what stands out is they all seem somewhat experimental but surprisingly don’t really offer all that much customization or difference to current shoes, at least in terms of using the process to make what wouldn’t be possible otherwise (besides ease of manufacturing i guess)…it would probably be a huge effort, but creating a deep(er) shoe customization experience would definitely be a key point of differentiation, but then it probably makes the product even more niche but possibly more valuable…i think even for those that are really into shoes/sneakers, it is still kinda rare to use things like nikeid or miaddidas to “design” their shoes