10 years out...What does your portfolio look like?

23 years into an ID career here. I was never a pure product designer -I have some real estate ventures and I’ve always been into total gut and remodel craftsmanship with home and some of those properties, so even though I’ve been building a consultancy for the last 11 years (with all the ups and downs you’d expect) it has always just been a job, family and other stuff compete equally alongside it. We specialize in a few types of products and we look for certain kinds of clients. That work has always been available, so I haven’t sold “Scott” in a long time - I’ve sold “Generator” and “Generator’s experience & capabilities”…but when the time comes that someone asks about me, I write a little summary and send them this link; http://bit.ly/2keDmlt

It’s a wide-out resume, a somewhat closer CV and then a much closer document of process. It sits on our website, which is now half new and half old, outdated and not designed as I’d like it to be anymore (Q2 2018 it’ll all be new, I swear, yeah right) but like everyone else, when faced with billable project work vs. admin time, I choose billable. :stuck_out_tongue:

These days, my team and I spend more time on the entire process - conducting, compiling and presenting field research, organizing Far East sourcing trips, providing QC and plant based manufacturing fixes while managing development projects - than we do with the creative aspects of design, so when the phases come to innovate, sketch, present, critique and start pushing ideas into CAD, it reminds me what it was like 23 years ago and it makes me love it even more today.