Marumado Lamp - Ring Joint Desk Lamp

Great process documentation, and i applaud the physical building. When I saw the CAD render I thought to myself, that joint is not going to work… but you proved me wrong by building it. I’m going to be super honest because having met you I know you can take it and you are a student looking for feedback. I hope this will provoke some thoughts:

1. that pivot joint is the cool part of the design. Is it celebrated enough? It works, but it will be a significant manufacturing challenge, so the functional and visual pay off has to be worth it, other wise “the juice isn’t worth the squeeze”

2. Why use OLED lighting. Significant cost adder and you put it in a cone, which visually looks like a conventional bulb is in there. Either go to a conventional bulb, or do something with the head that takes advantage of the OLED. It is basically a flexible sheet material so use it in that way.

3. the proportion on the base is too visually heavy compared to the head. Most iconic task lamps will emphasize the head over the base. Take a look through some of the classics from Artemide. I really like the simple and fun pivot mechanism you employed here, but can it be smaller? Shallower? Or make the head and the arm bigger?

4. the power button. Way too much emphasis is put on this visually. Everything else is trying to be clever (OLED, base pivot, pivoting arms) and this seems like a clunky pusher? Design this detail.

5. prototype quality. If it is going to be a steppy 3d print, just leave it in white. If you are going to match the color to the rendering, then the finish should match (ie sand and fill)

What do you think? Are any of those points valid or merit some reflection? Or maybe there are reasons for all of these things I missed?

Lastly, I want to end on that this is a great use of the forum! Thanks for posting everything so meticulously so we can comment right in the forums!