Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

Thank you Bengt,

I appreciate that. We selected an acoustically transparent mesh that has a metallic weave in it and is a dark grey which sheen vs the typical matter black. I wanted to do that to visually lighten it up a touch and really show off those chamfers. This chamfers are very intentional. When I was at Sound United I had a rule for engineering that no sounder could be taller than 2". The trend in TV stands was bringing them lower combined with the slimmer bezels makes the available envelope to work with much more difficult. Pill shaped drivers needed to be developed, different types of arrays. Eventually we were able to get great sound out of something only 1.75" tall, but that of course added cost and all of those sounders were more expensive.

This product is the first Polk sounder under $150. We wanted to do something to go right at the meat of the market and make something that sounded great, looked more high end, and had some patented features that are really helpful like Voice Adjust. That meant we had to go above my 2" regulation. So the purpose of those large chamfered surfaces it to visually trisect the height of the bar. The sides have no vertical surfaces for that reason as well, and even the logo placed off to the right doesn’t allow you to visually bisect the width.

I’m happy with the result. When we started this project I was concerned that we would sacrifice design for performance and value, but I feel the hard work netted a pretty balanced solution.

So you know anybody over there who wants to give me an HTS 12, you know for “product benchmarking”? :wink:

:unamused:

Lets see some new work folks!

2018 STX Cell IV Lacrosse Protective Gear
Designed the Shoulder Pads, Arm Guards, Arm Pads, and Elbows. Gloves were by another designer. Not a huge fan of the white injection molded elbow on the white colorway, but you cant win every battle (Black looks better!)

Fun project with some good technology and protection improvements.

Here is the universal phone carrier I worked on for Nike. It carriers phones from 6+ to 5s on the arm or hand.
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 4.48.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 4.46.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 4.46.36 PM.png

I also was busy with this project. The elite speed rope. It has an innovative grip that allows for the fingers to come closer to the center of axis for the highest level of control. I added some initial renderings to help explain the shape of the handle and highlight some of the details.

the geometry on those handgrips is really interesting. Do you have a link to the product?

I can’t find one. I was looking around the web not sure where they are being sold. Or even the exact name they launched under. What were your questions I can probably show work to explain it more?

I personally would be interested in seeing how you came to the shape you did - Really digging the subtle twist and transition through the handle. Nice work!

Here are some of the development process I used to create the final shape. There were also a lot of 3d model revs and prints to get it to were it is now. I am also including some close up pictures from a sample on my desk so you can see the texture and curve of the handle. The initial idea came from an obscure reference that I came across about creating products for delicate surgeries and that it is best to try to have the fingers closet to center access of spin.

very cool, thanks for sharing!

Really excited to share the first round of products I’ve designed and developed here at Orvis. This being my first time in footwear and outerwear, alot of time was spent working with sourcing, vendors, and field testers to determine proper fabrics, construction techniques, and best practices.

Ultralight Waders (men’s / Women’s)
Ultralight Boots (Men’s/ Women’s)
Ultralight Jacket

Check out the micro site below to dive into the Ultralight system of products and features:

Congrats Jim! Some real performance product!

Really nice stuff, Jim!
Must be fun testing these and working at Orvis. Gotta admit, I am a little jealous, being a little bit of a fisherman myself :wink:

Our second project with PRS Guitars just dropped. This was a fun product to develop - rock stars have their own vision for a VBL and corporate entities have their vision for cost effectiveness - we got to sit in the middle and help bring it all together. It didn’t hurt that we got to work with Mark Tremonti. I’m thrilled with the execution of the details. http://www.prsguitars.com/amplifiers/mt/mt_15/

Just in, this amp won Best of Show at this past weekend’s annual NAMM show. Awesome!

Nice, congrats Scott. That is a really fun category to work in!

I joined this project really late, so really can’t take much of the credit, but am still really excited to have played a tiny part in it’s journey in to the wild! The press went live this week ahead of New York Toy Fair, Iron Man Hero Vision AR.

Awesome! Congrats. I was just reading all about that, nice to know you worked on it.

Very cool, the lunchbox amp category has evolved in a very interesting way. Out of curiosity, what other project did you work on with PRS?

Hi AVClub - we contributed to a previously released Amp of theirs and are now kicking off a new project - expanding into a new category with them.