Got the product, now how to get sales

Hi mo-i! Thank you for the interest, and yeah, I hear you on the website. A big part of that is that it is really hard to offer a modular product through shopify (or probably other website services). Not only is it quite an undertaking to create all the the possible combinations in a smart way, you also run into presentation issues and limitations in the systems one works with. For example, shopify only allows 100 variants per product. So I’m left with finding loopholes. On top of that, I’m doing it all myself and I’m far from a website developer. Another thing is that I just love working on the shoes, so development tends to outpace website upkeep. :unamused: The gaiters on the instagram image you posted, are a new addition that I’m still figuring out.

For a shoe with textures, you would need to go here originally: https://fusedfootwear.com/collections/custom-sparks/products/custom-spark-not-sold-out, which would then take you to a google form to record your choices. But there is not a whole lot of feedback on how your choices make the shoe look, nor is the pricing very clear.

I’ve since found a product builder plug-in for shopify. It’s still very much in development, so I’m again looking for loopholes to make it work, but it does improve the shoping experience. The current builder is still a work in progress, but please give that a try and let me know your thoughts: https://fusedfootwear.com/collections/custom-sparks/products/copy-of-design-your-custom-sparks-extended

I’d love for you to become a customer, and as a designer I think you’d be able to tell me what you’d like in a shoe, so just email me if you’d like something specific.

iab, yes, etsy is definitely an option, just wondering if and how that dilutes brand perception and work focus. Then again, sales is sales.

AVClub, dude I really appreciate the come back! Thanks! To be honest, I don’t know yet how long they last. My first wearable shoes were printed in September so that’s how long I’ve been able to test them. I do wear them daily, and the 6 months is a conservative guess based on my experience with the material. If used by someone with several pairs of shoes, worn in rotation, I’m thinking they’ll do just as well as converses.

I hear you on the value proposition! To me, this mostly equates to the appeal of the design though. I won’t ever be competing with big brands, but I think there is space for a nicely designed, eco-conscious lifestyle sneaker.

As for outsoles, the 3D printed TPE is really quite good. It’s not the sole of my shoes that wears out, it’s the layers delaminating in areas of high wear (ex. toebox). Also, gluing an outsole to the current shoe instantly makes it way harder to recycle.

Now who’s going to point me at someone who’s successfully trodden a similar path as I have in mind? :smiley: