2017 Shoe of the Year?

I’ll bite…

Obviously I’m kinda biased here being in the footwear industry, but I have to say I’m not so happy what I’m seeing.

Less and less innovation and more and more hype multiplied by a factor of x100 on the ugly scale and incestous copying is how I’d mostly define Footwear 2017.

I’m not sure when actual aesthetic design and technical innovation lost the game to being different for the sake of being different but everything is so different now that it all looks the same.

The deconstructionist aesthetic is just one small part of this.

All those Filling Pieces things Yo posted above look to me like a Chinese knockoff of a Presto combined with an Italian Hogan built on the last of a diabetic shoe, at best. The ugly boot is the same as the Kayne collection 100s of things from Aldo ($) to Gusieppe Zanotti ($$$$).

Everyone is literally making the same shoe. Brand Black (once a very innovative and design driven brand by a great designer) is using retro/ugly runner Vibram tooling that is used by everyone with the same sort of random upper pattern on it that is the same as what you could get from a factory for free.

The Air Monach is now a fashion shoe? WTF?

Everything and everyone is making the same sock fit knit upper that if it weren’t for real, would be a joke in how far it’s gone (see Balencianga Sock runner which is just an actual sock stuck to an outsole).

On the flip side, there are some bright spots. Nike Air Max Vapor is a great evolution of the brand and technology.

Adidas has obviously been doing well pumping out the same NMD/Boost silhouette, but nice to see some actual innovation in the Futurecraft product (outsole).

I wish I could say more makes me excited. Bbest I can see if the evolution of some of the core athletic brands finally finding a good balance between performance and aesthetics offering sleeker, more streamlined product.

![nike-off-white-collaboration-gallery-5.jpg|1200x800](upload://7h1UaaRNL9x3WZgaNzNnMRw8EOc.jpeg) ![balenciaga-mens-triple-s_3_grande.jpg|600x450](upload://rOHyRmkzyJrwx2wmGoLViNrLGrT.jpeg) ![yeezy-supply-kanye-west-wave-runner-700-101.jpg|1119x746](upload://stTuMvjY2l7cfbYh046udlTHhPr.jpeg) ![air-monarch-iv-mens-training-shoe.jpg|400x400](upload://urCR0EXV1XnoDsMAmS1AccFrQe5.jpeg) ![Balenciaga-Speed-Trainer-Sock-Race-Runners-Triple-Black.jpg|1200x800](upload://ezbZGw2POB622g7QGT4EWB92RGI.jpeg) ![504880836_1_ShoeSide.jpeg|402x267](upload://mRyeBWbxauAFE38mLGBziOArcJr.jpeg) ![imgrc0075606932.jpg|602x340](upload://oU7PZug9agfxw29rQilq8Uj0UxQ.jpeg) ![adidas-futurecraft-4d-details-00.jpg|960x576](upload://j6B5h8DAGKBhZxcy8QyjymGHBOu.jpeg) ![blue.png|674x364](upload://jn6yMFGljLE3zKUurWWrBxCif5H.png)