DURO Modular Crutch

COGS? DFMEA? Impact strength? This is a student project done by a single person, or am I wrong? A lone designer with probably very very little industry experience if any and probably no engineering or business background (I assume). I think for all that it is already more in depth than most student projects.
Of course it is a design made within a design-student bubble. That’s usually in the nature of most design schools.
If I would hire someone out of school I would be very aware of them not being professionals who already know everything. A student project shows more about the mindset of the student and their willingness to work in “fringe” areas of design instead of designing another car or another pair of sneakers for the young urban millennial. This is not an actual business proposal.
Of course he could have shown more than one solution to the problem. I think showing a whole range of quick and dirty FUNCTIONAL prototypes would have really elevated the concept and shown that he likes to tinker on stuff until it is kinda plausible. And yes, adding bluetooth is like one of those ideas that only sound good until you sleep on it for a night. BUT he will learn all that very quickly from his colleagues who do this for many many years already, and in no time he will talk about COGS as if he has never not considered it in any of his projects.