Sketch-Fu: Men's Footwear

neither, was vaguely thinking of a way to make a deconstructed run-able trainer, more supportive but i fell into more conventional hoops look…for the throat, i was going for that sock feel, those shoes can look impossible to get into if not for the ample stretchiness, and even still are tricky for some to put on (so: zipper!)

seeing the overall stiffness is the thing that i’ve noticed the most from doing these…some of that is due to the way i’ve been doing them, but moreso the level of thought doesn’t necessarily match up to the execution

Great discussion here. One of the things I learned (the hard way) is that the level of execution has to balance out the level of thought. A part of the the talk I gave at square one was in the different levels of visual communication and what was appropriate for where you are in the process.

The three levels I identify are:

1. exploration (conversation with yourself or peers)
  2. communication (multi person conversation outside of the core group)
  3. persuasion (definition and alignment)

And the continuum I place those on are from “What it can be” to “What it will be”

Of course there are an infinite way to articulate and identify these things, but for the sake of a simple framework, go with me here. Your technique level is somewhere between “Communication” and “Persuasion” but your intent level is “What it could be” so the result is cognitive dissonance and people nit picking on stuff where you just want to be like “come on dude, its a sketch!”

any of this make sense or helpful in any way?

^100%, Michael.

Perfect example-

R

and to answer you proportional question, I think for the kind of shoe you described the Nike Air Moire Mid (which proving impossible to find images of, ugh, it was an early 200’s shoe and the first to have nike plus, designed by Mark Smith, I loved that shoe. Shot of the low top attached) would be a good reference, or even the Jordan T4G that I worked on, though that was a bit more hoops inspired. It was built on a running shoe last though.

Anyway, I did a little liquify on your sketch so you can see what I’m talking about. When I worked for D’Wayne Edwards in Jordan he wouldn’t even look at a sketch at this level if it wasn’t close enough to the right proportion, so he might have overly trained me to be a stickler here. :slight_smile:

I know it is a lot less sexy, and you can cheat it a little more than I did, but I wanted to show the other extreme. The nike x Acronym Presto is another good reference (deconstructed stuff aside)

Collar can be pretty tight tho.

For additional reference.

Great discussion!

R

totally, if it is a knit construction like those examples. The sketch doesn’t show that though… which is why it is so wide in the Acronym Presto.

Side note, Richard, what do you think of those Balenciagas? I didn’t like them in pictures but then I saw someone wearing a pair and I’m chasing my mind a bit.

#inanutshell! though, to an extent, it isn’t even exploration…it really is just an exercise (probably shortsightedly) that starts with a vague idea with little attempt (again, shortsightedly) to really flesh out…just for efficiency’s sake i should make the effort to turn stuff into more potential portfolio pieces, (alliteration!), but that would be too sensible…

amazing!

nah, I’m sorry I miss understood the intent. I guess I read to much into it between the render level and the video documentation. But viewed more as an experiment it makes more sense. I’m all for that. Forget (or take in stride) what I wrote before and keep experimenting by all means. You actually inspired me to experiment more with this kind of technique and I used it for a client project, in a totally different realm, for a vehicle concept project for a movie. I was always more of a photoshop renderer, but doing more in illustrator defiantly gave me more leeway to make changes.

no worries everything you noted was valid, once anyone puts something out into the world it is open for discussion, it’s on me to make clear…that’s cool that you were able to pick something up from it, that’s a bonus!

many moons ago i worked as an intern with a co-worked that studied trans design that re-did his one of his uni vehicle projects in illustrator, using a similar rationale…it looked almost comically tedious…until i saw his photoshop layer files…lotsa ways to peel an orange!

Totally, this is something I try to stress to my students now that I am teaching this term (finals tomorrow). Ans it applies to a micro level technique thing as well as at the macro level. As is a natural desire, many of my students want to know “the right way” to do something. I’m sure I was the same way. The truth is there is no right way. Or at least there is no single right way. Did you get the best result you possibly could within reason? Then you did it the right way. Was the result poor? Then the process was wrong.

there might not be a single “right way” but there definitely are multiple wrong ways!!! i don’t agree that the results should be qualitative of the process(es) in the absolute, only because there are times when success happens in spite of bad habits/practices & vice versa; the outcome is important but i feel like it is “better” to have metrics outside of the result…i think the best way i’ve had it explained, is a “best practices” type ting, where it is almost like a good, better, best approach; less about being right or the outcome than making sure some necessary boxes are ticked

Less talk, more sketching! Ha, just kidding.

A full zip gaiter concept for winter running (-20C and 40km/h wind gusts make your feet cold, trust me).

R

Doodle from yesterday warming up for the week…

R

quick sketch to quick illustrator

more quick maths

some skates for this week’s sketch wars on FB

here is the video on that:

dropping in

3 in a row… somebody break this up for me :wink:

Been a minute… Here’s an all AI quickie rendo…