ID sketching History and Trends

Although I didn’t get permission to share, another closed group im on had an individual whose grandfather was an ID’er and posted some of his sketches recently from mid 1960’s. I will say it was really interesting to see how simple they were and how un-stylized they were in comparison to sketches of today. Like I mentioned I wasn’t given permission to share on here (I asked) but the sketches were of lighting products (floor lamps, table lamps) and featured 8.5x11 vertically with one product per page directly in the center. There was one that showed various configurations on a single page and was much more “Flashy” but the largest amount were the simple one product in the center style. I would love to see a history of this and I would really like an honest review of the impact of style on the industry. I have seen some REALLY good designers with a really simple understated style that still communicated well and often were overlooked by flash. In contrast I’ve also seen alot of really good sketchers who really cant design products.