What are your sketching shortcuts?

yah, went a little old school c77 forums for a hot minute there.

This isn’t a list of shortcuts, but more of a list of things to be thinking about. Given to me by one of my professors in school. I’ve used it when teaching from time to time.

PERSPECTIVE >> are you honestly constructing the design by drawing through the form?

PROPORTION >> Rational scaling of elements. Do the overall form and details feel right? Inten- tional control of the proportion.

LINE QUALITY >> Thicks and Thins! Be calligraphic. Control your drawing tools. CONTRAST >> ultra bright to super dark, does it read?

VOLUME >> Consistent output for your ability. Are you giving it 110% every day? Think on the page, don’t edit your ideas.

CONTENT >> One concise theme, not several designs on one sketch. One core idea with sup- porting ideas. How does the design go beyond something subjective that you like and become an objective solution for the intended user?

VARIETY >> No two designs are the same. Investigate all the options, go down every road, turn over every stone. Show that you have breadth to your design abilities.

HARMONY >> Design is cohesive.

CLARITY >> Design direction is obvious, clearly visually communicated. Can the sketch speak for itself?

FLAIR >> Control and liberties taken to create interest for the viewer. Can I see that again? Wow factor and pop. Does it Jump off the page?