Looking For Feedback

Big step Sumi!

My personal favorite are the (oven?) knobs. A lot of good detail to capture and your quick material indication is almost there!

Just my opinion, but on the first 6 or so pages watch out on how much you vary your lineweight. Specifically on the perfume bottles there’s so much tapering from dark to light all around the product that it’s distracting and makes the product feel disjointed. I know that’s part of Kwan’s sketching style, but I think it leaves your sketches only feeling 80-90% finished and leaves your silhouette undefined.

Also, if you’re hoping to get feedback on your PD1 or design projects in the future I’d make a new thread on the Projects tab and include your briefs and background information to the project.

Keep up the good work!
Aaron

Great progress! Especially on the neatness of your sketches and your ellipses.
Keep working on developing your own way of communicating materials and shapes. Keep sharpening things up and making your presentation boards more and more communicative. Your oven toaster and blender sketches work well. Let us know if you want more specific feedback on your work.

First of all sorry about disappearing from the forum for a while. I have been working on my PD1 mockup for past few weeks and it is taking most of my time. Couldn’t get time to sketch anything other than my class assignments. I want to thank each of you who have taken time to look at my work and give valuable feedback. Apologies for not responding to you quickly.

So my PD1 final assignment is on grabbing tool or what is commonly known as a “grabber”. We were asked to explore the same grabber technique for some other application. I came up with grabbing tool with shoehorn which I’m designing for people with limited mobility so they can use it to wear their shoes.

In past few weeks we have made few functional and few non functional mockups. I am pretty drawn to the designs in page #1, 6, and 7 because I want to design a grabbing tool that doesn’t look like a grabbing tool. Got few mixed feedback from my classmates but last week my instructor asked me to go ahead with the design I chose. However, before I start refining the design more I wanted to get some more feedback from this forum. I would appreciate any inputs on my design.

Also we have been asked to pick a brand and do some research about that company. I am thinking about Fiskars.

Pg 4,5 and 6

Pg. 7,8 and 9

Pg 10, 11, and 12

These are some of the mockups I built in last few weeks.

Last two are the once I am planning to refine more as that is the design Im pretty drawn to. Both are functional models.

Appreciate your feedback.

Hi Ralph,
Thank you for the feedback. Right now Im not getting enough time to sketch anything else apart from my class assignment. I remember you told me to sketch looking at the real objects but haven’t got any chance to do so. I’m still not sure whether Im sketching loose enough. I will be uploading my DD2 final assignment layouts on this forum in a couple of days. Please take a look.

Thanks once agin for taking the time to look at my work.

Hi Aaron,

I looked at the project tab but couldn’t figure it out much so uploaded my PD1 design project over here.

I have not posted many sketches over the past few months because of my school work, so uploading these sketches I did in the last few weeks… Would like to get some general feedback on my overall sketching …

First, are my sketches loose enough? I’ve gotten feedback in the past that I need to loosen my sketches so would be glad if anyone can give feedback on that. Am I improving in this front?

Second, I’m trying mixed media now, from prisma pencil to pen to markers. I think I am still pretty early in my sketching journey so would love to know if anybody has any suggestions on using mixed media at this point of my career. Should I just stick to one or two media until my sketches are really good and then take on other forms of media or should I start diversifying right away and improve my sketches using a variety of media?

And lastly, I was also thinking about trying out digital sketching during winter breaks. Is that a good idea? Should I focus on hand sketches more to improve my sketching skills before getting on the digital sketches? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving !!

These sketches look great, but they can definitely be looser and more dynamic. Can you throw down a dirty sketch page that really reflects all the ideas going through your mind? Try that with pen or sharpie. Pen for the speed, sharpie for the quick dynamic effect. There’s always something interesting about the “these sketches don’t look great, but I was trying to get out all the ideas I had before I forgot them” pages.

In regards to whether or not you should try out different media right now… I don’t see why not. Just have some kind of reason for doing so, whether it be for fun, or learning intent… I used pen to stop erasing. Sharpie to be bold. I tried out pastel this past weekend because that’s what they used for automotive sketches and it looked fun! A couple years back I used a brush pen because I thought it might help improve my line control. Turns out it also made my marker work a lot more loose and energetic.

Master tools so you’re not limited in your creative expression. :slight_smile: Each tool is better than another in some way, and you may need it for a reason some day… Reminds me of how anything can be a canvas. You might have to sketch on a napkin because that’s all you got and your client is right there waiting for you to sell an idea. Can you believe I iterated a print-out photoshop sketch with a folded/ripped post-it note, when in conversation with an engineer? Old-school masking effect.

Hope these thoughts are helpful in some way - I just hope you don’t get too focused about “the right way” to learn and explore. Maybe trying digital sketching this winter is a good idea. Maybe not for some reason (which I highly doubt! You will definitely learn something from it). You don’t know until you try it!

Hello Everyone,

My semester got over last week so finally got some time to sketch. So posting what I sketched in last few days.

I want to really improve on my sketching specifically on areas I’m weak so would really appreciate your specific feedback on following aspects of my sketching:

1. Is my sketching loose enough compared to 6 months ago?
  2. Did I develop any sketching style or am I just copying other sketches?

Please let me know your candid feedback and thanks in advance for your help. Happy Holidays!!

– Sumi