Explaining Reasons for Staying So Long $$$

First, congratulations on nearing paying off your student loans. doing that in 6 years is amazing. I paid for mine and my wife’s grad school, and the day I wrote that last check was fantastic, like getting a pay raise!

Now, looking forward, begin by determining what you want to do. Understand that the title of creative director might not be transferable. Certainly if you were to go to a bigger company like Nike you would loose that instantly. With 6 years experience you would probably be classified as a design 2, 3 levels below CD… and that is ok. When I was at a small firm I rocketed to senior designer within a few years. When I left after 4 years I took a step back to design 2 at Nike, only to go to design director 5 years later. What matters is working where you want to work, doing the kind of work you are proud of, continuing to learn and grow, and getting paid appropriately. Titles are just gravy on the Thanksgiving Turkey… but gravy isn’t the meal (bonus points to me for working in a seasonally appropriate metaphor… however forced! :wink: )