BLADE RUNNER 2049... (spoilers)...

Even without the context I think a designer would appreciate the sparsity of the plot, dialog, and compositions.

With context, understanding that it was one of the first SciFi movies with this kind of design and production budget, and the first to pioneer the concept of “what is human” across AI/Robots (the first time that Robots are shown as not being mechanical, but biological, they are in essence clones) and as a metaphor to what was going on when it was written in regards to race, segregation and the civil rights movement (The book was written in the 60’s). Some people credit it with being one of the first dystopian SciFi movies, which isn’t true at all. Metropolis, which is one of the the first SciFi movies period (from 1927!) was dystopian. And of course Logan’s Run, THX, yada yada yada. It was however one of the first SciFi movies were the future looked a lot like the past and the present. The future isn’t made in a day, it is layered. The new things are layered onto of the old, and the old stuff tends to decay all around. Look around any modern city and you can see that.

That said, not everyone is equipped to (or needs to) appreciate films that are so atmospheric, ethereal, and metaphorical that speak to the existential crisis that all of us face. It isn’t a shoot 'em up filled with one liners and space fighters. Nothing wrong with that. I love Star Wars just as much as the next guy, but talk about a cliche plot. It is straight out of a greek tragedy. Still love it.

If you couldn’t tell, I love Blade Runner. Saw it for the first time as a kid on VHS in the 80’s and didn’t understand half of it (or see half of it, those VHS tapes couldn’t replicate the tonal range). I’ve probably seen it dozens of times in all of its versions and I’ve read the book (along with every other Philipp K Dick book) a couple of times. I highly recommend reading the book. The plot is a lot more dense and doesn’t run totally parallel to the movie, but it gives you a lot more detail as to why things are the way they are that they could never cover in a movie. It is a quick read.

Side note, Philipp K Dick dies before the movie was released, but Ridley Scott showed him a rough cut of the movie just before he passed and he loved it. Must have been a huge relief of Scott since they had to change the script so much to get it into a movie form. But Dick appreciated that they captured the oppressively layered atmosphere he was trying to describe.