Is designing for convenience worth the privacy breach?

I love when people come up with an artful high minded way of saying “sell more stuff” :slight_smile:

Tangent, I was having drinks with the head of the Domus Academy extension here in San Diego and we were talking at length at the broadening of the term design until it has become practically meaningless. I think we are going to see a snap back or pendulum swing on that in the next 5 years. In the way that everyone has a camera and takes pictures, not everyone is a photographer. Similarly everyone that is employing some aspect of design in their work is not a designer (just ask all those people at Apple). My point being, is this really design?

Is this anticipatory design or anticipatory selling? It seems like a way to pencil out recurring revenue and make a company look good to investors. Is removing a decision a benefit to the person, or the company selling the good/service?

I wouldn’t want to be work on it. Other than the ethical complications… it also seems like a boring problem.

A busy of mine is a coder. Whenever we are at parties and he tells people they immediately get visions of hacking and high paced start up life. In reality he works on the code that is behind how ATMs talk to banks. Super important, and I’m glad he does it, but mega boring. He does it for the money. I just can’t choose work like that.