What is BMW doing?

Eton I agree with you. I like the classic BMW style too, but especially what Bangle did and how BMW took it further afterwards was a genius move.
BMW’s were distinctive, sexy and powerful and managed to look the least boxy with a spectacularly coherent set of lines and details.
Now what they did with the X7 was create a box, stick on separate details and tweak surfaces separately that would deem to make a car less boxy, and then hide the mismatch with all these chrome details and angles. If you look at the Pininfarina Gran Lusso, the surfacing is coherent in tension and the lines are well proportioned and co-align with the volumetric approach. They are addressing a totally different market here than the true BMW fans.

I love the Z4 concept too, it is a slight bit too concepty but it is there.
The i series were too 2000/iRobot and to me already outdated when they came out but still a nice surprise.
The last vision concept was just that, a blue sky approach into the future, but with the new one, they are showing that it is possible to design a BMW in line with other electric vehicles and incorporating original techno-progressive features without looking too ‘Japanese’. If they find a middle way between the Z4, this one and maybe some other concepts they did I think they will have a brilliant new fleet.

The beer opener side window is horrendous though on the new Vision.
That is a shame for a brand that has Bangle and the Hofmeister kink in their heritage.

The R-Line looked cool but not sure when it’ll hit the states. If I go for something less powerful the new XC60 will probably win, gorgeous looking thing. If only Volvo didn’t over-inflate the price of the V90.

I saw a current gen R line Tiguan yesterday. it really improves the look of the car.

What about an Audi A4 Allroad Avant.

I’m not a big fan of the butched up wagons like the Cross Country/Allroad. If I ever had any intention of ever driving on anything dirty I could see the appeal, but I can’t justify the amount of money they charge for unpainted plastic bits.

Saw a late 2000’s S6 Avant (Or at least an A6 with a lot of money spent on cosmetic mods) today, now that was a nice looking car. Sleek as the sedan with just a little extra storage.

Saw a v90 wagon today. Wowza!!

R

I saw this on the road the other day and to be honest i thought it looked like a kids toy. Not what i would expect from BMW (in a bad way)

i3 has been out for almost four years, and you just spotted your first? Ouch.

i3 has not aged well, imho. It started off looking a little extreme. Now it feels cheap and pasted together.

we aint so progressive up hear in da north. or maybe we have better taste as to not want to own this things…

R-Line Tiguan = budget SQ5…?

Another cool thing that we won’t get is the Golf R Wagon. The US likes crossovers - handling and visibility be damned. Such a bummer. I saw a new BMW X4 M, in turquoise parked at our building visitor spot the other day - can’t understand how people make these choices.

I didn’t;t even know they made a R version of eh Golf Wagon… like the Rs3 and S3 hatch/wagon… we just don’t get it. I’m happy we have the 5 door Golf R hatch. My wife is loving hers! … and by my wife, I mean I borrow it a lot…

I’d like a GTi wagon. The R is too much power and AWD is inefficient. Although, it would make winter driving more fun.

Don’t be so Canadian Ray! :laughing: I made the mistake of driving the R and GTI back to back…

I don’t think it’s Canadian. Canadians (at least the French ones) seem attracted to the cheapest car possible (Mitsubishi Mirage, no AC) or something with a German badge.

I really miss my Miata. 185 tires and 115 hp. I felt every move. As I’ve said before, I want a 4 door RWD sedan with 185 tires and 115 hp:)

Mazda? Fiat? Mercedes SL? Certainly doesn’t look like a BMW. Not a terrible looking car, just totally all wrong in proportion (long nose, short overhangs) for the z4 and lots of really weird surfaces and bits going on.

First z4 was really nice and the last one I think was one of the nicest hard top convertibles out there.

ugh.

R

So. Many. Vents.

Could the proportions RK mentions have something to do with the co-development of the Toyota Supra?

The first gen Z3 Coupe hardtop still kills me, especially in M version. There’s a silver one sitting at the German auto shop up the street next to a Gallardo and a green 911 and it totally looks the part.

Hmmm, definitely not intended for me. I loved the quirky uniqueness and proportions of the first z4. I thought the second was very sleek and well executed but it lost a lot of the personality of the first. This one is like an all caps email. Every little bit is just shouting for my attention. BMW used to have some of the shortest overhangs, especially the front overhang (just look at the z3!). This one seems puffy in pictures. I’ll have to check it out in person.

100% yes! So weird, but so cool.

EDIT- also, I think most ragtops look terrible, and this fixes the problem nicely :wink:

R

Also, just because this might be nicest car BMW has made in the last 40 years.

R

Always nice looking at that Z8. Nice history to that shape too. Rarely seen in the wilds.

The quirkiness of that hardtop Z3 reminds me a little of what the Harold did to his Jaguar XK-E. If I ever get one of those Z3 Coupes (which is not completely far-fetched as its one of the car-things that my wife and I agree on) I’m getting vanity plates HRLDMDE