Close

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

You will always get negative feedback, sometimes a lot, sometimes a bit less. So continue on your way and make sure to have something that impresses people and provides value.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Re: Went looking for design employment advice...

Postby Cyberdemon » September 13th, 2017, 9:32 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Designer who doesn't like designing in design-less area complains about lack of design jobs that he doesn't actually want.

Not sure if we're the ones with confused expectations or what. If you don't want to do design the other areas of product development either lead you into program management, product management, or engineering. Being a "Guy who can help make things" consultant is only so valuable because big engineering consultancies want people with broad engineering or manufacturing specialties, not design backgrounds.

Unless you actually know what job title you want to make you happy, finding that job will continue to be impossible. I would say to pursue a management track but unless you have the design vision and interpersonal skills to lead a design team, (which coming into a new position would require a great portfolio to show how your design successes in the past) that will not be an easy job to get.

Postby frdiby » September 13th, 2017, 1:15 pm

frdiby
step two
step two

For Variant, I did some research over the summer to find some cool international design schools just in case I decide to get a masters. I found this school in the Netherlands, english speaking, cheaper than UMEA Institute of Design, and has connections with design firms.
https://www.tudelft.nl/onderwijs/opleid ... ct-design/

They have 3 Industrial Design masters degrees and one of them may interest you. It is their Strategic Product Design Masters, focusing on business strategy and basically deciding the direction the business should go. I wasn't interested because there wasn't any sketching, but from what you describe, you may really like this - and if you are looking for employment advice, there will be professors and actual companies interacting with you at this school to give you just that. Concerning funding, I've done some research on scholarships, and found a huge truckload of scholarships exist, you just have to take the time to apply. I know of a few students who went to all sorts of sites online and made over a $100K in scholarship money. Here are a couple that were suggested to me-
http://www.fastweb.com/
http://www.scholarshipmonkey.com/
https://www.goodcall.com/scholarships/
https://www.chegg.com/scholarships
http://foundationcenter.org/
http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/scams#dont-pay-for-help - just some advice for avoiding scams

The only reason I was looking at a Master's degree was because I was interested in working internationally - and the best way to do that is to have a visa, and meet people in person - in addition, I heard designers with master's degrees are more valued in Europe -

I also looked up some of the grads from that school to see what they were up to. Some of them have some fairly prestigious positions, and big ideas that they share as guest speakers and such.

Kinda way out of the box, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Postby frdiby » September 13th, 2017, 2:55 pm

frdiby
step two
step two

For general advice, I found this youtube video, but you probably already saw this:

Postby Variant » September 26th, 2017, 10:08 am

Variant
step three
step three

Cyberdemon wrote:Designer who doesn't like designing in design-less area complains about lack of design jobs that he doesn't actually want.

Not sure if we're the ones with confused expectations or what. If you don't want to do design the other areas of product development either lead you into program management, product management, or engineering. Being a "Guy who can help make things" consultant is only so valuable because big engineering consultancies want people with broad engineering or manufacturing specialties, not design backgrounds.

Unless you actually know what job title you want to make you happy, finding that job will continue to be impossible. I would say to pursue a management track but unless you have the design vision and interpersonal skills to lead a design team, (which coming into a new position would require a great portfolio to show how your design successes in the past) that will not be an easy job to get.

product management
^
This. What's wrong with that? It's just like any musician who finds the music part of it lacking and moves into production. The fuck is wrong with that lateral move? I've seen it a ton of times.

Postby Variant » September 26th, 2017, 10:25 am

Variant
step three
step three

frdiby wrote:For Variant, I did some research over the summer to find some cool international design schools just in case I decide to get a masters. I found this school in the Netherlands, english speaking, cheaper than UMEA Institute of Design, and has connections with design firms.
https://www.tudelft.nl/onderwijs/opleid ... ct-design/

They have 3 Industrial Design masters degrees and one of them may interest you. It is their Strategic Product Design Masters, focusing on business strategy and basically deciding the direction the business should go. I wasn't interested because there wasn't any sketching, but from what you describe, you may really like this - and if you are looking for employment advice, there will be professors and actual companies interacting with you at this school to give you just that. Concerning funding, I've done some research on scholarships, and found a huge truckload of scholarships exist, you just have to take the time to apply. I know of a few students who went to all sorts of sites online and made over a $100K in scholarship money. Here are a couple that were suggested to me-
http://www.fastweb.com/
http://www.scholarshipmonkey.com/
https://www.goodcall.com/scholarships/
https://www.chegg.com/scholarships
http://foundationcenter.org/
http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/scams#dont-pay-for-help - just some advice for avoiding scams

The only reason I was looking at a Master's degree was because I was interested in working internationally - and the best way to do that is to have a visa, and meet people in person - in addition, I heard designers with master's degrees are more valued in Europe -

I also looked up some of the grads from that school to see what they were up to. Some of them have some fairly prestigious positions, and big ideas that they share as guest speakers and such.

Kinda way out of the box, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Thank you so much for going out of your way, man! :) Coulda just shit out some snark like most of the commenters on here. Keep taking the high road.

Unfortunately, I'm 40 and way past the "starting over" thing. If I can't leverage my experience at this point to make more than minimum wage (which I can't) something's fucky as they say. :shock: I'm trash, the system's broken, America's on the slide. Whatever the problem is. I'll take measurements in an R&D lab for $40k/yr. but I get shot down for that shit. CAD drafter position for $35k/ yr.? Shot down. :(

Too old. To ugly. Shit experience. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay past the point of giving a fuck at this point. The more I've done, the less employable I've become. Fact. That's all I know.

Postby KenoLeon » September 26th, 2017, 3:12 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Variant wrote:Unfortunately, I'm 40 and way past the "starting over" thing.

Starting over has this big weight and stigma attached to it, a factory that used to build a product that no longer sells can retool and be successful, something that is very common and normal. The age part is also subjective, I am about your age and recently got shot down by frog for a web development position, I figured they could use an experienced web developer that also happens to love and dabble in ID, I've literally spent years analyzing portfolios for fun. Nope, for whatever reasons they sent me the standard HR cold shoulder response. I will still apply to positions that I perceive are a good fit with cool companies, but I've gotten so much better response ( both financially and at the personal level) from things and projects I see myself starting from zero. While these new projects are not 100% ID or Web Development, I think leveraging what I've learned elsewhere gives me a leg up.

BTW, a very close relative started from scratch at 65 and didn't achieve success until 72,hoping both you and I achieve it sooner !, but in my mind failure is when you stop trying, you try the same stuff expecting different results or simply settle.
Last edited by KenoLeon on September 27th, 2017, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Dan Lewis » September 27th, 2017, 8:48 am

Dan Lewis
step four
step four

Unfortunately, I'm 40 and way past the "starting over" thing. If I can't leverage my experience at this point to make more than minimum wage (which I can't) something's fucky as they say. :shock: I'm trash, the system's broken, America's on the slide. Whatever the problem is. I'll take measurements in an R&D lab for $40k/yr. but I get shot down for that shit. CAD drafter position for $35k/ yr.? Shot down. :(

Too old. To ugly. Shit experience. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay past the point of giving a fuck at this point. The more I've done, the less employable I've become. Fact. That's all I know.

Maybe your whiney, 'I've given up' self-pitying attitude shows when you present yourself. Who would want to work with you? (it's hard enough to read your posts) It may subtly, or worse, show in cover letters, resume, portfolio, interviews. Get some unbiased evaluation and move forward with a more positive sense of purpose. Hiring someone that is such a downer is an office killer - it infects everyone.

Postby Cyberdemon » September 27th, 2017, 10:20 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Variant wrote:
Cyberdemon wrote:Designer who doesn't like designing in design-less area complains about lack of design jobs that he doesn't actually want.

product management
^
This. What's wrong with that? It's just like any musician who finds the music part of it lacking and moves into production. The fuck is wrong with that lateral move? I've seen it a ton of times.

I don't understand your response, when did I say there was something wrong with that? (Particularly coming from me who no longer does ID and who's title is Director of Product).

My point is you commented on looking for "design job advice". Product management is not a design job. Neither are operations jobs, PM roles, etc. If you decide you want a job in program management, then people can give you tactical advice, other than you complaining you can't find advice from snarky people on a board full of people giving you advice. :|

Variant
step three
step three

Cyberdemon wrote:
Variant wrote:

product management
^

I don't understand your response, when did I say there was something wrong with that? (Particularly coming from me who no longer does ID and who's title is Director of Product).

My point is you commented on looking for "design job advice". Product management is not a design job. Neither are operations jobs, PM roles, etc. If you decide you want a job in program management, then people can give you tactical advice, other than you complaining you can't find advice from snarky people on a board full of people giving you advice. :|

I don't understand what you're saying. :? My last gig was under the VP of Product dev. That's the position I would like to pursue. Sorry if this is the wrong place to say that.

Previous

Return to design employment