Chef's knife

prototype 2. Added an extra layer which really helps the design and it feels better in the hand.

Are you sure about the shape of the handle? I have designed and manufactured dozens, so my question.
Regards

Looks really nice. Maybe just the video, but the colour and depth of the finish looks so much nicer now. Like a rich rosewood. I really dig it. Additional layer helps visually too. The shape also looks a bit rounder vs. Rectangular/squircle? Maybe not as Newson, but looks more comfy!

R

Thanks Richard, I’m really happy with how the design is evolving. There is some natural variation in the material, but I think most of it is just the lighting. I need to get that sample and do some high res, high quality shots. That was just a video the client texted me from his phone :slight_smile: Ah, the modern era.

working on some finishing details…

Wood sleeve?

R

Yes. They are called “sayas” … a little something to protect the blade… and you… when not in use.

Hmmm… never seen that on a knife.

What is it made from? Wouldn’t it dull the knife sliding in and out? Is that little dot feature some sort of lock?

R

It is pretty common in this circle. The dot is pin you pull out to get the knife out… sorry, typo, it is called a saya.

Some quick shots of the first production sample.

Sweet!

I wonder if you could make a sheath from the same handle material? Maybe with a continuation of the layers/grain effect? Or a similar color wood? So when closed up it would all read as almost a single form?

Really dig it!

R

This has turned out really well, I love the detail all around. Edit: Just saw that the pin is used to release the knife.

Thanks fellas. I’m pretty happy with it. Changing a couple of details on the saya for the next few pieces… designers, never happy :wink: the blade is crazy sharp!

Only 2 will get done before the holidays and those presold last week which is nice. A waiting list has started for Q1 2018.

working on a few final details in the packaging and the photoshoots are coming along…

It came our really nice, I like the metal in the handle, nice contrast.
With the saya I prefere your sketch a lot over the actual product. The proportions look much sleeker there. In the real version it really “thickens” the blade a lot in every direction which takes away from the nice proportions of the naked blade and makes it look very bulky. Especially that the lip on top of the knife (the “spine”, if that is the correct terminology) is so big disturbs me a bit (this detail is much less pronounced in your sketch). But I guess that is a compromise to not have a weak seam at the top.
Maybe a “top loading” sleeve would be interesting? It would keep the design feature of the continuity of blade-“spine” and handle on the top while simultaneously put less stress on the edge of the blade because you don’t need to slide it in and out. Maybe in combination with some magnets it would give a more magic feel - not a big fan of that release button.

top loading it is an interesting idea!

Final cards. First knife is delivered tomorrow.

Awesome. Congrats on the collab!

R

Congratulations! It came out better than I thought it would.
Some improvements could be:

• the little dot on the outermost layer looks nice on the sketch but materialized it looks like a sign of wear
  • being able to hang the knife would be nice
  • it seems the saya could be much thinner and cover just the blade edge, then it can also fit in a knife block. A magnetic connection is a great idea.

A few of my favorite shots from the kitchen shoot.