Looking For Feedback

4,5, AND 6

Hi Sumistha

Your work has improved greatly!
Your sketches have become a lot better, material renditions are almost flawless and good shading as well.
I like the Adidas sketch in your last post because it shows more looseness - this is your single point of struggle.

I understand how you want it to come out perfect but Yo in July gave a very good example with the drill sketch.
The sketcher completely loosened it up and it’s not pretty, but it has character and speaks, while still communicating form.
This is about giving the form a space to evolve, get out of the 2D projection mode and work more into the space.
While sketching, don’t end the movement at the end of the line - it will come out cartoony and a bit too flat. Instead, draw through - compare it to a good golf swing. Also graffiti artists are good examples because they have to work swiftly, with their entire bodies and control line width as well. Look at this guy:

Also your glass renditions need work - also look at the other side of glass and how it reflects and refracts in complex areas such as the bottom. Start by drawing what you see from real life, then start understanding why the light behaves that way. With some more work you are ready to take your sketches further into the digital media, if that is your ambition.

Keep posting!

Good advice ^^^ !

Hi Ralph,

Great to hear from you. Sorry about the late reply. I got little busy hiking the mountains and taking sunrise/sunset photos during the labor day weekend :smiley:

After seeing your comment, I sketched few more shoes, pencil sharpeners, and camera. I think my shoes sketches need to be more loose. Please take a look and share your thoughts.

So far I was posting my personal sketches. Now that my fall semester has started, I will be posting all my sketching assignments here for next 15 weeks. Any critic will be helpful.

3,4, and 5

I am posing my pencil sharpener sketches twice because the scanned copies are not showing the draw through lines.

4,5, and 6

Camera

Hi Sumistha,

It’s good to see that your perspective work has improved as well, especially the ellipses.
You can still improve on this as well as on the proportions for example in the lines you draw midway across the forms.
This communicates very well if done properly.

So far as a recap I like your June 7 headphone sketch the best because the first sketch was freehand, loose and simple yet still accurately describing the design intent. It is great that you are also practicing presentation hand rendering - yet exploration and presentation are different types of sketching and have to be in different threads as do discussions about your design projects. Your June 24th camera sketches also were not bad except for the ellipses and your 08/28 mice sketch with blue pencil also works well. Make it clear what you are improving on and keep posting!

So my first week’s Product Design 1 assignment was mice concept. After group brain storming I chose to design concept mice for visually impaired and visionless people. This week I will be researching more on this and sketch few more ideas around it. While doing my research I found out that not many companies are making mice for these people. However one Israeli based company called Tactile World ltd have built mouse around braille system. First week I focused mainly on shapes. This week I will be exploring more alternative than traditional mouse.

Design Drawing 2

First week we mostly explored freehand sketching of basic geometric shapes, ellipse constructions and 1pt,2pt,3pt cubes.

In two days span during my class break I did these sketches. My DD2 instructor added the background and asked me to add major and minor axis to give more sketching feelings to the page.

My main focus is to sketch loose and quick. So, hence forth I will try to post only related to those topics to keep this thread in order. Thanks once again for taking time to review my work.

The block forms are communicating well.

For the first page of headphones, try to drop your lines as smooth strokes, rather than as scratchy segments. It helps if you ‘ghost’ the stroke you want over the page before actually drawing it. The second page of headphones is an improvement with much cleaner linework, good work!

Hi Andy,

Point noted. Thanks for the feedback. I will work on it. Planning to sketch few more headphones today.