Looking to improve

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just finished this one… Tried using some light grey marker for shading on this one. Knowing that one wrong move with a marker when shading can ruin the whole sketch still doesn’t sit well with me and I think it shows in the sketch… Much prefer pencil.

Also this final sketch took me many hours to come up with and refine. There were rough messy sketches before hand to come up with the design and then a couple overlays… Maybe I should be concentrating more on just quick concepts/sketches. hmm

Try photocopying the sketch, or scanning and printing before you do any marker work. It takes the fear out of it.

Thanks Michael, will do

Quick footwear concept. The biro on the other side of the page came through on the markers, will make a refined sketch of this and try my hand at adding some textures to the materials.

Nice overall. When you do the overlay, try adjusting the proportions. I liquified your sketch a bit to get it there. You can print this out and overlay it.

Feels a bit rigid at the moment will try and get looser.

Side view is looking good. I’m glad to see you took the proportional advice. Same on the 3/4. Yes, try loosing those lines up a little. Try doing an overlay and see how loose you can make the lines and still have it read. Try to balance between abstract, calligraphic, and realistic.

Thanks Michael, yes will try an over lay of this :slight_smile:

By the way, is it common practise in professional id to make a rough sketch then put into photoshop and re proportion? I always feel like I am somewhat ‘cheating’ when I do this hehe but on the other hand I think it would be daft not to use all the tools at my disposal…

In the mean time I have made another quick concept. Will refine after I’ve done the proposed overlay above^^

I think tweaking it a bit within reason is fine, especially if you use it to make your next sketch better. It is just another tool, I do it too. Maybe people considered markers cheating at some point :slight_smile:

2nd attempt at the 3/4 view. Lines could be cleaner, but wanted to get this finished. Not a lot of time this week.

Realising just how much difference uninterrupted, smooth and fast lines can make to the overall finish of a sketch. This one below is by no means an example of this lol. Not the cleanest of lines but I will work on it.

Decided to show you my earlier drafts as well as the finished product…

Attempt 1

attempt 2

attempt 3

Attempt 4

Final

Might go on to another subject now…

Managed to get a concept done in one evening which is good for me…

Think I bit off more I can chew on my new subject area…

This took me about 10 attempts. I followed one of Spencer Nugent’s tutorials on youtube using a box to start with and drawing the wheels etc but although the persepctive on the box looked good, when I tried to apply the lines of the car to the box the whole think would begin to look skewed…

In the end I just did an overlay of another artists drawing to get the position and angle of the wheels, bonnet and roof and then added my own design to it…

nice, you are getting there. Don’t be afraid to elongate the wheelbase a little more and pull the center point of the grille forward in space. It will give the entire design more volume and body.