Recent Grad In Need of Advice

While I spent ~8 years in ID before transitioning (back) to UX (with a bit of ID/Hardware) I agree focus with what you are passionate about.

Getting into ID is as much about who you know as what you know. You need to have a good portfolio, that is table stakes. So while you’re not working work on improving your portfolio every week. This will show that you are determined to get in the business and also that you are passionate about improving yourself and what you do, and that story sells itself very easily to an employer.

Second, make investments in yourself. The IDSA national conference is next week and it’s going to be full of designers and managers looking for talented people to hire. Beg borrow or steal to get yourself to that conference with a printed portfolio, a stack of resumes and business cards. Get yourself into the portfolio reviews and you will leave with at least one of the following:

-Honest feedback on how to improve your portfolio
-Contacts who may be looking for employees or interns now or in the near future
-Actual job interviews to line up

I know travel and expenses can be viewed as a luxury, but I’ve been the guy at those tables desperately looking for a qualified Jr. Designer, and the good ones will get scooped up quick. You can save costs if you still have your student ID, turn it into a road trip instead of flying, and stay at a cheap hotel or AirBNB.

Also don’t be afraid to ask your college professors for contacts that might be interested in a candidate like yourself. I landed my first job because of a contact I got from a professor and it turned into a great 9 year gig.