One sheet every weekday (hopefully)

Derby, why do you ask?

Just curious how other unis teach. I went to two and lectured at 2 others. They have taught you well.

Thanks MK19, where did you lecture? I feel like they gave me a good foundation but that at least 80% of the real learning has been on the job, though I suppose that’s the case with every subject/career.

I’ve always been interested in the prospect of lecturing but have wanted to get some industry mileage in first before thinking about it seriously.

Today’s effort - earphones or ‘earbuds’ to my friends across the pond :smiley:

Quite scrappy and felt like a bit of an ‘off’ day. These are biro and papermate flair, scanned in and with some background/shading applied in Sketchbook Pro to add a little ‘pop’.

Applying a one-hour time limit has the benefit of pushing me to produce several forms quickly, but the caveat of feeling like I’m rushing and that I could do better given more time. I want to upload everything up here unfiltered though so that a real reflection of where I’m at can be seen, even if I’m not happy with it!

Missed yesterday’s upload because I cycled to work and as such had no spare time!

These are great. Strongest so far I think.

R

agreed, fun page.

Thanks guys, I’m interested to hear why. Quality of exploration, sketch style, etc?

Visual interest, color, variety of form and shape, color, line. Kinda everything makes it good.

R

Perfume bottles today, using a Pilot Hi-Tec C and Papermate Flair.

More earbuds today, slightly ran over the hour mark.

Bonus one from lunch today. Never sketched cars before, just trying to get a hang of the proportions and perspective!

Cars are a unique beast, but I always recommend people sketch them because it tends to improve all of your other sketching.

Scrappy headphone sketches ahoy!

Hi all,

Wanted to render an earphone cup that I doodled during the working day, so that’s what I did.

Below:

• Original sketch (biro/papermate flair)
  • Rendered in sketchbook pro
  • Rendered in sketchbook pro with linework removed

Can’t decide whether with or without the outline is better. Thoughts?

Cheers!

On the “gold” part of the headphones don’t use black to add value, it makes it look muddy. Something like a dark orange would create a better looking rendering.

I always find that yellow is tough to add value too.

Hey, nice stuff. I like the one with the line work left in most. Makes it feel more expressive and dynamic.

Thanks Mack,

Agreed and adjusted:

I find all of the paint splatters distracting. I think this drawing would tell me more if the perspective showed more of the side. Here is a good headphone perspectives:

Thanks Michael (and everyone else),

I’m going to try to do another set of headphones over the coming week in your suggested perspective. I did a few sharpie thumbnails trying to get the view down but I’m finding it difficult to get away from the comfortable perspectives that I find easy to sketch, (if that makes sense) but I need to start thinking more about what the sketches are trying to convey to the viewer.

Over the past week I’ve been doing a lot of loose/gestural car sketches and decided to go to Sketchbook Pro for some this morning. I couldn’t get the pressure sensitivity to work for some reason so it was kind of like using a gel pen. I’m also not much of a car guy, but these are super fun to doodle.

Good morning :slight_smile:

Salt/pepper mill thoughts from this morning for the weekly design challenge. I prefer this sheet with linework only and a bit of highlighting to draw the eye. I’m not sure the quick rendering adds anything?