Lost and in need of help

I was pretty frustrated with the whole work of job searching a couple weeks ago, but within the last couple of weeks things have been changing for the better. I’ve had interviews with 4 different companies and I’ve found larger networks of jobs to research. I may actually be realizing this dream of career progression very soon.

I’ve created a file system on my home computer to document all the places I’m applying to from here on, and any networking I make with them. I’m looking both in the states and internationally. Best tip for looking internationally - lookup BEDA, The Bureau of European Design Association. http://www.beda.org/ Then click on “Our Members” and view the members of countries you are interested in visiting. So far I’ve explored the Association of Dutch Designers (BNO) and found a number of design firms listed right there.

Another tip, look everywhere for job openings. I have found many openings that aren’t posted on Coroflot, but are on Indeed, or aren’t on Indeed, but are on LinkedIn. Also check Monster. Finally, it seems like some companies only post on their website, so keep checking those too. They probably post elsewhere, it’s just easy to miss with the flood of information on the web.

I recently corresponded with my university professor, and he suggested meeting people at design conferences, design fairs, and just straight up visiting the place. He also noted that many firms have relationships with schools that can help you get in the door if you decide you want a Master’s degree. I’m seriously considering it myself because I found a couple of my choice design firms indicate on their websites that they attend specific senior shows and interact with specific university programs.

Also, I’ve talked with a couple design directors at design firms that I really admire, and they told me to approach my workplaces of choice and develop a relationship with the designers there through introducing myself and seeking advice.