Advice for a Jewelry Designer trying to get into ID?

Hello,

I’ve been working as a jewelry designer, developing new lines of product and doing custom work for roughly two years now after getting a BFA in Jewelry Design and CAD. My heart has always been in ID and I’m working on developing my portfolio to get new opportunities. I don’t have enough money to go back to school yet but I’ve gotten a couple of freelance gigs for smaller companies over the years.

Do you have any advice for this recent grad whose trying to get an internship or entry level position? Any and all perspectives would be welcome.

Thanks,

Have you done any reading about Marc Newson? He was trained as a jewelry designer as well.

I know the name but that’s about it. He helped design an airplane among other things right?

Which, BTW, Urban Spaceman was a dead-on, nailed-it title for a Marc Newson documentary.

It’s interesting that in this documentary we both got into jewelry for the exact same reason while in art school. For me jewelry was my best option for learning practical design and manufacturing skills. It’s nice to see someone at the peak and recognize that it is possible but it doesn’t really talk about his full progression to get to this point. What did you find to be the most valuable advice when you were starting out?