Looking to improve

250gb,

One thing i notice (i may just be missing it) but you don’t seem to build your perspective “boxes” and then sketch inside in order to get your portions and perspective right. This can sometimes be a mistake when working on improving sketches, some of my former students would see people like Yo and Blaster and others and say “they dont do it that way” not realizing that at one time they did but after many years they eventually simply see the “box”. Scott Robertson has some great tutorials on this. I also had a chance to interact with a designer who was an amazing sketcher and took classes from Syd Mead, and when i asked him how he did it so naturally his response was “he made us at times do nothing but sketch ellipse for hours…20,30,45,75 deg.”
Also do your original sketch and then do a minimal of 3 sketches as overlays (dont change the design ) just change your line style and tweak perspective
images.jpg

This is very true. I always draw the box, just a lot of times it is in my mind vs on the page now… It took 20 years to get it like that.

Thanks guys, will take this on board.

Been filling my brain with scott robertson techniques past 5 days and practising his inside out method. Also I bought his book on rendering. Thanks for the heads up!

Building on the point made about perspective boxes by Chevis, sometimes I find it helpful to start by drawing lots of the same size boxes in different perspectives until I find one that will work for the sketch. I can then use another box for a different detail and so on. It also gives a visual boundary to build within, which helps with proportions when my hand doesn’t want to draw what my mind is telling it to :laughing:

Thanks man, makes sense :slight_smile:

Ok so after spending too long trying to come up with a pleasing design I ended up with something that bends the rules of geometry in certain places
and is a bit rigid lol. Will try and make the next one better. :slight_smile:

Some interesting stuff. I’m seeing improvement and variety of form. Try to make sure you are using form and color functionally. For example on the first sketch on the last post, you have this broken out area that a viewer might assume is a texturized soft touch. it makes sense around the trigger and where the thumb would go, but less so on the battery.

Thanks Michael, will try to keep this in mind

I try to think about the semantic repercussions of your sketches. I want to tell someone what this is, what its unique benefits are, and how to use it all visually. That said, sometimes you have an idea that breaks those parameters and you need to try it, but I try to make that decision very consciously.

Some fairly quick thumbnail type sketches…

Very nice. I’m really reading the volume there.

Thanks Michael.

Did some rough ideation. Inspired by one of your drill designs. Will try to do a polished up sketch of one of these…

This sketch was much quicker than my other sketches. Feels good to get a sketch done in good timing. Just need to be careful of some perspective issues and be tidier with my line work…

nice work. Seeing a lot of improvement!

Hey I am liking the light weight here… Nice work. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just finished this one… Tried using some light grey marker for shading on this one. Knowing that one wrong move with a marker when shading can ruin the whole sketch still doesn’t sit well with me and I think it shows in the sketch… Much prefer pencil.

Also this final sketch took me many hours to come up with and refine. There were rough messy sketches before hand to come up with the design and then a couple overlays… Maybe I should be concentrating more on just quick concepts/sketches. hmm