Design Concept Challenge

I didn’t spend a ton of time, but this was fun! A slot/thru-hole is routed through the door, and then the “handle” has the grab portion fed through, and then the push aspect is attached to the door. My thought was things that you push and never pull (A Button, generally speaking), and something you pull and never push (A rope, tug-of-war style).

I’m digging that one AVClub!

Thanks Yo! I’m loving your concepts as well, I especially like the literal nature of some.

This is great. No iconography or words needed. The best kind of UI design! (though not always possible)

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

R

My vote goes to AVclub as well!
It only needs some gearing to unlock the door but that can surely be done.
Or we just hold the door in place magnetically, that works!

[ Deleted ]

Thanks for the kind words all, there are some really cool concepts coming out of this thread!

I like the pull rod within a recess Keno and copper idea (patina would be nice too, but maybe messy)… though it does look a bit like an, um… penis.

Though I suppose none of these are really ADA compliant…

All the concepts with arrows and hands I find don’t really work. Hand looks like the DO NOT ENTER symbol, and arrows don’t really show push “IN”, more like UP or DOWN depending on orientation.

Not really the question, I suppose, but isn’t the best solution just a door with double hinges that can be pushed OR pulled with some kind of double purpose bar? Or Star Trek doors that woosh open magically? :slight_smile:

R

[ Deleted ]

proportions are everything…

Boeing designed a bidirectional latch that can be pushed or pulled. It also helps flight attendants to see when latch is not fully engaged.

Different challenge since door only needs to be opened from one direction but still cleaver.

Pending the creation of magic Star Trek doors, I’m curious of why buildings don’t use double hinge doors more often where possible. Perhaps price or construction and fire safety prevent it.

Thats interesting! I wonder if it can be pulled or pushed at both the top and the bottom?

So im a little late to the game … (fixing a hole in my roof and ceiling)

I tried to go with a minor modification on form that communicate ergonomic discomfort if not used right…

1 Like

The handle section of the door has a pin that is inserted in the main door.
This handle section forms a mini door and rotated about the main door due the pin.

1. When a user tries to push the handle from the pull side. the user experiences something similar to missing a step on a flight of stairs, as the door
    section swings open to the otherside while the door remains where it is, in some cases the user may crash into the door and break a nose or a few teeth, thus learning a lesson, to be more attentive to the real world. and let their smart phones remain in pockets.

2. When a user pulls a from the pull side, the door swings open normal due to the collar that acts like a stopper for the handle section.

3. While on the push side, the user has no handle and hence has no option other than pushing, and yet again the collar acts as a stopper for the handle section and swings the whole door open.

Hello everyone, very late I know but I didn’t come across this lovely board until very recently.

I was thinking of one simple design that could be customized to serve in different situations.
Its a U-shaped sheet (maybe 1/8 inch thick) that rotates around a cylindrical handle and secured to it at different possible angles.

In the pull case, the thin edges are facing the user making it both mentally and physically uncomfortable to push.
When adjusted into the push mode, the smooth rounded end is facing the user but there’s no enough room to grasp the handle making it impossibly hard to pull.
And in case the door works both ways, it can be fixed at 90 degrees possible to pull or push.

1 Like

I wanted to revive this thread with a project I stumbled across from Eva Fly that I find super interesting, check it out here:

"This door was my bachelor project at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. A door is a part of the inner architecture, which is relatively easy to renew. Therefore I wanted to design an alternate type of door, that would function as an atmosphere creating interior product. By giving the door a higher level of tactility, it adds more haptic value to sleek modern architecture. The soft textile surface has a positive effect on the acoustics of a room and is ambiance creating. The curved shape of the flexible door leaf enables the door to give space from one room to another, depending on which way it’s pushed by the user. The flexible textile makes it possible to feel another person through the closed door - or see someone touch it from the other side. The door opens both ways like a saloon door, and closes softly due to the textile in the doorframe.

The door frame is made in wax treated oak.
The door leaf is a wooden frame upholstered with foam and felt.

The textile was sponsored by Kvadrat.
The door was made with help from furniture upholsterer Nicolai Bisgaard."

1 Like

Ghali, that is a great idea. It won’t meet any safety requirements but I love where you are going with it.
This is becoming one of the favorite threads.

bopping around London this week and I find myself often doing the wrong thing because most of the doors seem to open in, vs in the US where most open out to meet fire code… but this door push sign I definitely noticed. These guys might have nailed it :slight_smile:

cue the song.

Sometimes I still think about this sketch challenge @chevisw @Ghali @Hamza_Uddin @AVClub @Rodrigo @M_ark @LonghornGreenback @ralphzoontjens