Yoplait's New Branding Strategy

I think the graphic design of the Oui label is cluttered but still memorable in a sea of white plastic containers. There are three different styles of hand-lettering or sketching on the label which compete with each other for establishing the overall look. The ‘strawberry’ simulated writing is trite, reminds me of when some d-bag CEO has his signature on the bottom of a mass-produced letter saying how AT&T is sorry for losing my data. Everything about the label screams ‘big company trying to look crafty’ including the Yoplait in small type. I bet the designers had some bolder concepts that got polluted over time - the container is a nice shape, the reverse angle is a Yoplait brand asset, and the visible fruit flavor on the bottom looks appetizing.

The real story in the article is about a data driven CPG conglomerate trying to distill ‘authenticity’ and re-create how “other” brands made hit products. Marketers will have an inherent distrust of anything really new, oddball, or edgy, and thus they probably miss out for years. Reminds me of “design thinking”…comes naturally to designers, and for non-designers you need multiple workshops and baloney certificates in how to think…