Looking to improve

Nice! The presentations are also looking a lot better now.

These are great. Play more with white space and reflections in your drawings, see if you can simplify your sketching process a bit.

Ok i overhauled my last sketch. Tried to loosen it a little. Seems that sometimes I end up sketching in a rigid manner… Usually happens when I think to myself beforehand ‘I want to make this sketch perfect’ and then I get a bad result lol. Anyways I’m happier with this one apart from a bit too much midtone with the pencil i think.

Thanks for the kind words.

Do you mean give the image more contrast ie less midtone and more white and dark tone?

Digital this time. May add some colour later.

that is getting interesting!

Thanks Michael. Btw your instagram account is a gold mine of inspiration.

Added some colour. Maybe I should of made the straps purple as well…

Started on a new sketch. This is just rough… I find it hard to share sketches like this. Anyway, will use this to overlay. Would love to get to a place where my 1st drafts aren’t all messy!

Follow up from yesterdays sketch. Still pretty rough but I wanted to try and get 1 out first time rather than continually having to do overlays., Could be better i guess.

May add a bit of colour to this tomorrow. Then i’m going to move off watches now and try a different product…

Hey, the watch case is concave or convex? To me the right side of the watch looks like concave and the left side of the watch looks like convex or may be I am Hallucinating :smiley:

Hmm the case would be convex…

Watches was tougher than I thought it would be. Ok on to next subject I think.

Ok next topic - impact drivers

First one, trying to get loose but not there yet… Found this tough and outcome could be a lot better but progress isnt a straight line i guess.

ice sketch. One thing to think about is your perspective strategy. The perspective you choose should be very intentional and based on being both informative and persuasive. Because this perspectives main focus is the chuck of the drill, I don’t think it is as informative as it could be. unless you were working on an innovative new chuck mechanism design, in which case you might want the focus of the sketch to be that. if not, I would recommend tipping the design back toward a traditional side view with less of the front visible.

250gb,

One thing i notice (i may just be missing it) but you don’t seem to build your perspective “boxes” and then sketch inside in order to get your portions and perspective right. This can sometimes be a mistake when working on improving sketches, some of my former students would see people like Yo and Blaster and others and say “they dont do it that way” not realizing that at one time they did but after many years they eventually simply see the “box”. Scott Robertson has some great tutorials on this. I also had a chance to interact with a designer who was an amazing sketcher and took classes from Syd Mead, and when i asked him how he did it so naturally his response was “he made us at times do nothing but sketch ellipse for hours…20,30,45,75 deg.”
Also do your original sketch and then do a minimal of 3 sketches as overlays (dont change the design ) just change your line style and tweak perspective
images.jpg

This is very true. I always draw the box, just a lot of times it is in my mind vs on the page now… It took 20 years to get it like that.

Thanks guys, will take this on board.

Been filling my brain with scott robertson techniques past 5 days and practising his inside out method. Also I bought his book on rendering. Thanks for the heads up!

Building on the point made about perspective boxes by Chevis, sometimes I find it helpful to start by drawing lots of the same size boxes in different perspectives until I find one that will work for the sketch. I can then use another box for a different detail and so on. It also gives a visual boundary to build within, which helps with proportions when my hand doesn’t want to draw what my mind is telling it to :laughing: