Recent Grad Who Would LOVE Some Portfolio Feedback

Hey Nina,

Welcome to the boards, I hope you get a lot of good feedback here!

1. You may want to edit your link to the website, it seems to be incorrect :slight_smile:
  2. Where are you sending your portfolio to? What are your goal companies/industries to work for? This will help us give you more direct feedback! (First read would be furniture/housewares is this correct?)

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, so take what you can get and distill it down to what the common consensus is! Here’s some of my initial thoughts that I think you can improve on:

• Resume is a bit misleading under the experience category. Experience typically refers to professional experience (we want to see where you’ve worked previously) and then maybe add some sort of misc. category for the other opportunities you’ve participated in. Both are valuable, but very different. Ultimately, splitting your student and professional experiences will make it easier for your viewer to comprehend at a quick glance. On a side note, I think your interests show your personality and sense of humor, which you should inject more into your “about” section.

• I like that you physically made a lot of things, prototypes, models, etc.

• It seems like you made a lot of things, but left out the story, and the reason for them to exist. For example, what lead you to make the furniture.craft project? Were you at a cafe and found a problem? Were you inspired by a certain decor? Throughout your first 4 projects I mostly wanted to know why you made these things and why they look and function the way they do. I’m missing a connection to you, and to a potential consumer, in some cases I’m even missing the problems you’re trying to solve.

• From a skill standpoint I think you’re close, it seems like your strengths are in hands-on making vs. sketching, you may want to highlight this more and explain what solutions you’re exploring. For example, in your bottle project did you explore how you might keep the coffee from heating up the water compartment? In your mockups did you try filling up the compartments with two liquids or how intuitive your mechanism is in order to switch between the two liquids?

• Overall I’m left with a lot of questions by the end of your projects and I’m wondering if you solved them. From a presentation perspective I think it’s important that you anticipate what someone may question about your project and then answer it preemptively in the next slide.

I hope that’s helpful,
Aaron