Bike saddle Re-imagined

I was purposely being harsh because like iab I’m a bike guy.

To say that you want to demonstrate your technical abilities, but without showcasing your skills as a designer (problem solving, ideation, testing) is worthless. And I’m being harsh because if this were a portfolio piece being presented to me as a hiring manager I would ask “what were you thinking?”

I would rather see 10 crude foam models that you whittled away at your desk, cobbled together with play-do, or sketched with crayons in your portfolio than a super-spiffy rendering of a polished form that defies all logic of design, ergonomics, engineering, etc. The important takeaway here is that every piece in your portfolio should do a job of telling a story about you being a well rounded, thoughtful designer that can identify and solve problems. Every 2nd year student these days can bang out some basic forms in SW and jazz them up in Keyshot. Doesn’t matter if it were a bike seat, a chair, a hand trowel, water bottle, etc.

You mentioned you were using theory and motorcycle seats for inspiration. If you’ve ever seen anyone ride a motorcycle you’d see the flat part of a motorcycle seat is for the passenger, not the rider.

You also didn’t say “this is just a speed form exercise” you said “Being that I’ve been immersed in it, it makes sense to me” - if you were immersed in this for more than a day it means that whatever development work you did leading up to it was too inspired by form and not inspired at all by design. Which makes it art, not ID.