Do people still use portfolio books?

As others have mentioned, keep paper copies.

Depending on the meeting setting, the laptop may be really awkward and turn things into a slide show instead of being a discussion tool. Everyone can control what content is being shown on a book, it can comfortably sit between people. Best of all, everyone one can point at it and gets around the “what’s that blue thing in the top right corner” problem or you can quickly flip pages and point at a section when giving an example as part of an answer.

The best thing about the paper copies is that you can leave them on the meeting table or purposely tell the decision maker to hang on to it. It’s the best business card you could hope for. During the decision process, the candidates may get discussed between the team and having a physical incarnation of your work there can really help you out. Your work may make its way to team members that weren’t present at the interview but may still have influence on the decision process. Portfolios also don’t get thrown out a whole lot. So if you don’t get the job you came in for, having your work on the shelf can still help you out in the future.

Keep the laptop around, especially if your work is related to video, interactivity or motion design. You can also setup a folder with all the content you think may be relevant so if the conversation goes off a tangent and you have something to show you can quickly retrieve it. Also bring every adapter and back up that may be remotely related. A tablet may provide a decent experience but keep a few hard copies handy. Absolutely bring physical stuff if it feels appropriate.

As for printing, my portfolio is 8x5x11 IN so I get it printed on Blurb as a magazine. In hindsight I’d probably go with a landscape format. However, I’m not sure how to help you with your issue, it seems your using a totally custom size. You could try a light binding and cutting it with a paper shear. Your best bet may be to work with a local print shop. I guess to bring this back to ID, start to consider your manufacturing process as you converge on a solution :laughing: .