Multi-Discipline Design Consultants

I’ll try to clarify where I’m coming from with this.

You have architecture in the traditional sense of the word. Someone who designs a building, documents it, watches it get built, etc… you have to coordinate all of the systems involved with a building, etc…

You can also do the architectural design concepts/prototypes for a business. This could be something like a major retail chain, restaurant, etc… Like Starbucks, or Chipotle. Whenever you see one of these places you know it not only by the branding and signage, but also typically the design of the building itself. (a bad example is the old steep pitched roof ihops all over the country that have been converted to other uses)

I’m wondering if there are any design consultancies out there that will help a business with all aspects of their brand. from something like a product to the branding concepts, space planning, art direction, building/space design, and even down to the various technology integrations available. basically the whole user experience when you interface with this company.

I’ll use Chipotle as an example:

Their building have a very standard kit of design features that they draw from depending on location and the landlord requirements. You can pretty much tell what it is even without their branding slapped on the building.

Once you enter the building they have a fairly standard prototype of how you interact with the interior from the way you queue, how you order, how you pay, getting drinks/condiments/etc, then how they have their seating organized. They have this flow well thought out and they apply it to every restaurant they build.

Other designed items that they use include their online/app based ordering systems. Someone had to design these and fit them into their intended use of the interior design/space planning.

Their branding is slapped on nearly everything they have and it all points towards a common theme. The graphic design, utensils/paper goods, bags, etc… All of this is designed towards a common goal.

An example of items that they don’t currently have that other places do would be kiosk based ordering systems. These could be a whole design problem for a company. you’d have the enclosure design, the interface design, and managing how this fits into their space planning and ordering process.

Obviously these would have to be team efforts to come up with all of these various designs decisions. Unless you have a finely tuned in house design group I would imagine that a lot of these areas would be available for consultants to help out.

Getting back to my original question. I’m really curious if anyone has experience working on these types of groups. Do the various features get divvied out to separate departments or do consultants have the luxury of approaching these as a total design solution for a client when all various disciplines working together.