Jeep Wrangler

We rented a Wrangler for a few days for our honeymoon. It’s a shit car on the road - terrible handling, ride, fuel, etc. But that wasn’t what it was designed for. If you’re going out to play in the dirt, or want something for camping or mountain biking excursions that you can get completely covered in mud and hose off at the end of the day, then it’s not a bad choice (although realistically I’d probably just get a Subaru with some Monster mats at that point).

In terms of overall build quality, they are not bad cars - because they’re still inherently simpler than anything on the road. And most of the maintenance is stuff that can usually be fixed in a garage by a normal person since it’s so mechanical. That’s one reason they tend to hold their value surprisingly well. Unlike a used M3 which has a SMG transmission or VANOS setup that could grenade at any second and cost you $8-10k to repair, the biggest things going to be wrong with a Jeep are usually worn out bushings, rust, leaky diffs or aftermarket suspension that’s gone to crap. Luckily, all of that stuff you can stick your head underneath and see pretty quickly - there isn’t much invisible risk.

I loved the 90’s Bronco’s, esp in topless form. I think that’s just the nostalgia kicking in and reminding me of Bigfoot. I just loved the squat proportions of the Bronco.