Microsoft Surface Phone

Thank you so much for the honest critique, especially in terms of IxD and Industrial Design. I can see what you mean about pushing boundaries and really trying to create a statement. It’s a concept project, after all. My goal for this project was to remain grounded and create an understatedly clever product that people would think of as cool & seemingly viable. But you know what? I’m going to take your advice and really push boundaries for my next concept presentation me (and a team now!) are working on. I really appreciate your last paragraph. I had a bad habit in school of being defensive in critiques, and sometimes I still feel defensive. I’m so passionate about my work and love design. I’ve really lost the ego since graduation and really working to learn from others because being passionate and having an overly-inflated ego shouldn’t co-exist.

And I agree, Nokia’s Lumia 920 is one of my favorite smartphone designs and ahead of it’s time. Really reminded me of a classic Sony product, minimal yet with so much character.

Thanks, may I ask what renders you particularly found lacking and what I can do to improve them? I’ve really grown an enjoyment in CADing up and rendering products, for my next project I want to take my rendering skills to the next level.

And yes, the HoloLens really needs a solid design if it is to enter the mainstream market. It’s serving it’s purpose in acting just as a development and proof-of-concept tool as of right now, though.

Keno,

that Lenovo tablet really reminds me of the Vaio “Barrel” design language that was common in their products until the division was sold.

I’m not quite sure I’ve ever liked to purchase products just because they look different from the rest, in general do people feel the same as me? What are your feelings on this idea? Is novelty itself a function? Is designing products that aren’t objectively “better” good design?
z_overview_power.jpg