UPDATED: vintage concept sketches

Those Galina Balashova skecthes are awesome.

The media for the Buran (Soviet Space Shuttle) - pencil and tracing paper?
Snark aside, those Soyuz cutaway watercolors are lovely.

some 80’s goodness.

Great article on Paul Bracq, the Fench designer behind some of the best BMW’s and Mercedes of the 60’s and 70’s: The story of Paul Bracq, the father of BMW's modern design

1600 Drawing.jpg

I seem to only drive cars by Bracq. E28 is just sold but still got the W115 Benz. Wonder what the newest car he designed is…?

R

LOL, I thought you would dig this one Richard. Did you watch the video as well? Yes, I wonder if he did anything in the 90’s or 2000’s?

Mining back through here looking for images to support a talk I’m giving, such a great treasure trove.

I never thought a Chevy Beretta could look so cool. This is a good one to show the kids how ugly products get made. A sick render goes a long way to selling anything.

But when you think of Chevy’s of the time, that was the cream of the crop!

Harry Bentley Bradley from 1968

The economy of linework and gesture in the last four sketches is wonderful…so evocative of the stance and personality. Adding some foliage and a bikini - will remember that tactic for the future…

Yah, that is some amazing stuff. I had to preserve it in here for posterity!

I follow a few accounts on Instagram that frequently post some vintage gold

from the drawing boards…

a designer at his desk at an early downtown Detroit GM design studio (which is now CCS by the way) and a little Syd Mead.

Saab 92 sketch by Sixten Sason (c. 1947)

some very cool alternate nasa space shuttle concepts from MustardVideos’ recent piece on the Soviet Space Shuttle: Did The Soviets Build A Better Space Shuttle? The Buran Story - YouTube

wow, look at this draw, it feels completely contemporary… the solid block colors, no fancy shadowing… it could easily fit with the recent graphic/product design feed on instagram :smiley:
mini.PNG

that sason sketch sits perfectly with the current cultural debate. It predates the Simca Bagheera ads by 3 decades.

1 Like

I am just blown away by the generosity of my friends and clients! My good friend and first client of my new studio bought me this fantastic Syd Mead print he picked up in a vintage shop in Palm Springs. I’m adding it to some of my other Mead gear. When I was a design student in the 90s I was lucky enough to meet Mr Mead and get him to sign my copy of Studio Image 1, his self published book series. Can’t wait to hang this print in the studio!