T-Splines replacement?

Hi Adam,
We use the usual Solidworks, Rhino, Keyshot combo here. I am very interested in trying Modo, but ultimately I need to send data to engineering, or to overseas factories for tooling.
Can you export the SubD parts as real data (for lack of a better word) or can you only export meshes? I haven’t really been able to get a good answer, or maybe the answer has changed with newer releases?
It does look like an amazing piece of software.
If you can export solids that Solidworks/ProE can work with then that makes Modo something to really consider[/quote]

I’m not Adam…but it is a complement…:slight_smile:

Yes you can go from Modo 100% to manufacturing… there’s a plug-in called Power Translators which gives you the option to output as a STEP, SAT, Rhino, and IGES. Now just to be clear it’s not just a simple file—>export not because it won’t work but more so you have to understand that there are big differences between a SubD models and CAD model. Here are some screen shots that show the model in Modo and opened in Rhino and SW… there are some flaws here and there but for the most part it’s all good.

If you are really looking for a two way street between Modo and the CAD world then there is also the Power SubD-Nurbs plug-in as well. This helps convert CAD models into SubD models. Now this also isn’t 100% but it’s “ok” solution. Much of this comes down to what kind of workflow you intend to use. (i.e For adding details to a model or to bring a model in and render and/or animate.