Going back to school, in design, au Québec?

You mention doing some previous studies, what did you study?

As you’ll notice in a lot of school choice threads, the school choice may not matter that much for your career, a kickass portfolio is what will get you a job. The school will help round you out and give you the frame to learn the skills. You’ll often notice it looking at portfolios from graduating classes: the top rated schools have a few outstanding portfolios, lots of good stuff and a few below average. It seems the teachers and the peers work well at pushing everyone forward. In lower rated schools, you’ll see one or two awesome portfolio and a lot of meh stuff. This shows that if you’re ready to give yourself a decent kick in the pants you can shine no matter where you’re studying.

As for college (really a vocational school in US parlance) vs University, it really depends what you’re looking for. I’ve seen the vocational school graduates being pushed towards the busy work/CAD jockey side of things… Not to mention, on top of being only 3 years, about 1/3 of your classes will be general study which it sounds like you’ve already completed.

This is the first time I hear of UQaM’s design bachelor program. I know UQaM has a few programs that top or equal the private schools in the province such as their communication’s department. Though this program doesn’t really seem to be in that category lol. I doesn’t seem to have a clear focus which seems quite detrimental.

Université Laval seems to have its first graduating cohort this year, I’d be curious to see what was their experience. Though I’d be weary of such a young program. Not to mention there may not be that many opportunities to network in Québec city which might make it difficult for internships.

I think your best bet would be to attend the graduating shows, see the quality of the work, talk to the students, talk to the profs and get a feel for the different schools. Here’s a link to all the shows that are coming right up. ADIQ | Actualités | Vernissages + Jurys = Finissants D.I. / 2017 It does appear you’ve missed Concordia’s show.

Is there a reason why you didn’t include Concordia in your list as well? My impression is that a lot of the French schools are extremely Québec focused and may give you the false impression that the US, Europe and the rest of Canada is beyond your scope for transferring, student exchanges, internships…