juicero already issuing refunds

Goes to show, there is a fine line between success and failure when your product overpriced, over-hyped, and easily mocked.

Useless piece of ****.

my favorite article so far : Juicero users find that man trumps machine – TechCrunch
‘This Soylent is burning a hole through my guts but do I complain? No. It’s the future.’

Love this quote from the ex-CEO:

"Hand-squeezed hacks” produce “a mediocre (and maybe very messy) experience.” :unamused:

$5-8 for the ‘experience’ of a juice satchel is like paying $5 for a single coffee pod. Not happening.

I feel that someone should say, “NO! bad CEO! Dumb idea!”

I can’t remember who it was, but didn’t a fairly well known design studio work on this project?

Fuse Project (Yves Behar) :wink:

Ahhhh thats where I saw it!

That would have been my first second and third guesses.

when $$$ is no object… Here’s Why Juicero’s Press is So Expensive – The Bolt Blog

Can’t fault the product development teams at all for smelling a huge opportunity to design a bad-ass piece of hardware with costs irrelevant. Who doesn’t want to do this? All those well-finished, machined aluminum internals are like lab equipment. As the article says “hopelessly expensive to manufacture and assemble”… just a laughable concept, but if the backers had the dough, who wouldn’t take their money?

Really interesting teardown…and I suppose a valid point - if this product were launched at $99 or 149, would we have felt it to be as ridiculous? Probably not.

His points about things like the tiny radius details on the CNC parts seem like they hired an engineer from Apple who thought CNC time came at no expense, when in reality those parts probably could’ve been forged, cast, or formed for 1/10th the price.

[ Deleted ]

Keno = Design hero of the day.

Sounds like sound design. But business model?

Fuse Project: Didn’t Frog used to say they take projects that make them rich or make them famous? I think FP must have gotten some $$$ for their work. Bravo!

Moreover, I remember a story from my Uni days. One prof was hired by Cray Supercomputers to design a new box. His firm kept bringing up that it seemed like their was no future in supercomputers and they should do a Cray PC. The company went bankrupt before the new super computer box design was made.

As designers, we can try to make clients see that their business model doesn’t work, but at the end of the day it is their decision.

If your hired by a saddle company, don’t tell them you want to design a car.

It’s a fair point. As a product, obviously the juicer meets it’s functional requirements. I’m sure it could smash rocks if you tried.

What’s more amazing is how far up it’s own ass Silicon Valley is to pump 120M of capital into the idea. I can just picture a coffee shop parking lot full of Tesla’s and i8’s with guys talking about how amazing this product is going to be as they all break out their checkbooks.

[ Deleted ]