Close

Re: Looking to improve

Postby 250gb » April 18th, 2017, 7:12 am

250gb
step three
step three

Brian_Donlin wrote:Those metal cylinders are starting to look pretty good! Especially the ones toward the bottom of the middle image. I always have a really hard time with chrome and glossy materials.

Yea it takes some practise i guess. The more reflective the material the more streaks that occur I think..

Postby 250gb » April 19th, 2017, 9:36 am

250gb
step three
step three

Messed up the dial at the top but overall ok i think... Next, own design.

IMG_2178.JPG

Postby yo » April 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

getting there. try to get looser with he lifework. Longer, lines. I can see you starting and stoping in the line work.

Postby 250gb » April 20th, 2017, 1:48 pm

250gb
step three
step three

yo wrote:getting there. try to get looser with he lifework. Longer, lines. I can see you starting and stoping in the line work.

Hey Michael. I'm finding making clean swift lines on the cylinders almost impossible... But i'll keep practising. Another thing if i get a line wrong then it screws up the whole sketch LOL. I guess that's what underlays are for...

I did this before reading your last post.. (own design)

IMG_2184.JPG

Postby yo » April 20th, 2017, 5:10 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

It takes a lot of practice. don't beat yourself up, just keep at it. Notice in my sketch it wasn't perfect, and I took a few passes at it.

Postby 250gb » April 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm

250gb
step three
step three

IMG_2195.JPG

Postby Winslow_Harte » April 21st, 2017, 1:58 pm

Winslow_Harte

It looks like you don't quite nail down a concept before jumping to markers, which aren't as forgiving as a pen/pencil.
It's easy to keep adding to one sketch, but sometimes its good to get those first ideas down then grab a new piece of paper and overlay w/ clean lines.
I'd say throw a bunch of quick sketches down refining a concept working on proportion (orthographic views help w/ layout/proportions) then jump back into perspective/markers.. my two cents. keep it up tho and don't forget to stay loose!!!

Postby 250gb » April 22nd, 2017, 7:43 am

250gb
step three
step three

Winslow_Harte wrote:It looks like you don't quite nail down a concept before jumping to markers, which aren't as forgiving as a pen/pencil.
It's easy to keep adding to one sketch, but sometimes its good to get those first ideas down then grab a new piece of paper and overlay w/ clean lines.
I'd say throw a bunch of quick sketches down refining a concept working on proportion (orthographic views help w/ layout/proportions) then jump back into perspective/markers.. my two cents. keep it up tho and don't forget to stay loose!!!

You might be right. I think for my next few I am just going to keep to linework and try and nail getting the lines clean.

Postby ralphzoontjens » April 22nd, 2017, 9:21 am

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

Hi there,

You are getting really good advice here, and I agree with all of the above.
Your first sketch wasn't bad at all, it needed a bit more contrast, looseness in shading strokes, a softer drop shadow and overall a more expressive feel.
What I mainly see is that you are trying to get those ellipses too perfect while as you can see in yo's sketch, even if the ellipses aren't perfectly drawn, the overall sketch gets a much better character if you let your hand flow with the lines. Work from the shoulder, it will help you get better ellipses. You can also see how fluid strokes on the outlines that continue past the perimeter of the sketch, and some overall effect and perspective help a sketch come alive.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby KenoLeon » April 24th, 2017, 8:59 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

250gb wrote: I feel like the best way to do this is to sketch and render from observing existing products.

HI 250:

You know I used to think that way, and it is a lot of fun to just copy and render some existing product, the issue is that I think it might not be the best way to practice, think about it, you want to sketch and render new things, so you need to practice that, I guess a little base inspiration is not bad or consulting existing products for finishes features etc.

I wanted to make a pure marker render sketch process but bailed at the line work stage cause I was in a hurry/didn't have all the markers:

- I like to start with quick thumbnails to figure out what am I sketching and perspective issues.

SonyBetaThumbs.jpg
Notice the last one is the one I ended up using as a base for the line work.
SonyBetaThumbs.jpg (108.01 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

- After that I do bigger tests until I get something I like and then use it as an overlay (or 2) for line work; I have a wand scanner which is not very expensive (about $40 and awesome), but just discovered dropbox's document scanner (which I used here and it is pretty good if your smartphone camera is decent ):

SonyBetaOverlays.jpg
The lenses are a straight rip-off from the latest iPhone
SonyBetaOverlays.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

I am not as gifted as Yo with markers on first or second pass, so I like to do a couple of tests before, as mentioned I ran out of time, so I just finished one of the tests I had on the computer, the line work is scanned and I tried not to use gradients and digital trickery (except the lcd and background) to try and keep it looking vaguely analog:

SonyBetaSm.jpg
I still think the shutter button should be bigger !
SonyBetaSm.jpg (127.15 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

Good luck !
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby 250gb » April 25th, 2017, 9:24 am

250gb
step three
step three

Thanks for the input guys it helps.

Decided to concentrate on line work for now and get that clean before i try to use markers again..

1st one

IMG_2219 (1).JPG

These photos seem to bring out every blemish that i can't see on the paper lol

Postby yo » April 26th, 2017, 10:42 am

yo
Administration
Administration

That last one is getting much looser. Very nice. You are getting there. Keep pushing through!

Postby 250gb » April 27th, 2017, 4:12 pm

250gb
step three
step three

IMG_2228 (1).JPG

Postby AndyMc » April 27th, 2017, 10:44 pm

AndyMc
step four
step four

These are getting much better! Have you tried overlaying the same sketch over and over until you're happy with the linework style you're getting? It's tedious but I find it helps with actually drawing the line where you want it to be.

Postby 250gb » April 29th, 2017, 5:47 pm

250gb
step three
step three

Thanks for encouragement guys.

I have been using overlays but with copier paper for the last few - hard to see through.

Latest.. Lines a bit messy on this i think but was tired.

IMG_2241.JPG

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to sketching