Ono's sketchaday April

Tow truck toy

Nice!! Keep them coming! Check out Scott Robertson on Youtube! He has a great little sketching channel, and I think completing some of those exercises will help you draw through and really figure out the perspective.

Great progress since your first post!

Thanks! I know Scott’s stuff, the guy is a legend, deffo have much to learn from him…

A toaster I did for the #Weeklydesignchallenge in Instagram.
I wish I could justify an Ipad pro, this dull pen from the old pad takes some getting used to.
(boy, do I like to blame the tools…)

A sketch of my bike pump, and a redesign with a bit less organic style.

Hey, these are all pretty solid in terms of getting the idea across. My one critique is that I think your sketches could benefit from more contrast and lighting. For example, in that toaster sketch, the values of the top, right, and front side are all pretty similar. Pick your light source direction, which tells you which side is going to be the brightest/medium/darkest. Shade each side accordingly. If you’re using markers, you can literally pick out 20% gray, 40% gray, and 60% gray, and use one for each side. Then add the more detailed shadows around components, like the knob, for example. I hope that’s helpful! Keep it up.

Thanks Brian, you’re right!, I’ll keep that in mind.

Today’s sketches.

I think this one (the Rexel) needs some heavy line weights on it to make it pop like the toaster. These last few have come a long way since the first ones! Get some toned paper to mix up the sketching medium if you’re bored of white, thats what I did instead of the Ipad haha.

Thanks, agreed, I’ll have another go at the rexel at some point, i’m trying to use whatever medium at hand.

A quickie car based around Marc Newson’s some years ago.
I had to photoshop the front which was out of whack, I’ll be developing this one.

nice you seem to have improved quickly

Thanks! I am trying to get back to form and pick up new techniques, having a self-imposed deadline to post daily helps, as do all the comments and seeing other sketchers. :smiley:

Another go at the toaster, still a long way to go.

Yea that daily deadline sounds like a good idea.

Toy car doodle to ipad

A quickie I posted in Instagram for the #Weeklydesignchallenge
It’s a tactical washing machine for very manly men.
All metal construction, black matte PVD finish, key-protected abort button for emergencies, oversized soap drawer, NO SOFTENER DISPENSER!
water temperature gauge, screwed-on brushed steel command pannel and submarine style pothole window.

Still trying to work on my sketch-to ipad technique.

Just a quick easy tip–those details you just described make for great callouts. Adding little notes next to your sketches can help with the overall composition and definitely helps people understand what you’re trying to show.

Nice one, that’s a good idea.

Haven’t been very good with my sketching the last week. Here is a material test for satin and polished metal