Lost and in need of help

Maybe you can look at the fact that you have been out of school for a while in a different way.
You weren’t hibernating during those years but instead gathering valuable experience. Maybe not designing but in many other ways, I am sure.
Organisation, problem solving, manufacturing and general maturity in the “real world”.
Try to leverage these.

I got a start into the design world really late, didn’t really start designing until I was past 30.
So I know what it is like to not be the cookie-cutter young junior designer, when that is your competition.

What I would advice is to not just use all that knowledge you acquired after school towards future employers but also towards re-vamping your current portfolio.
If you feel it is dated, then re-do the projects, add new ones. I get the sense that you have a clear idea in mind of what your portfolio should look like in order to make a splash in the places you’d like to work.
The only way to get there is to hone your skills and possibly take whatever internship opportunity you can get.
You are in a great position to do thsi as you will approach your situation in a different, more structured way than a recent grad.

You portfolio isn’t bad at all and with a bit of structure, editing and re-work plus a couple new, contemporary projects, it can definitely get you where you want to go. Then the fact that you are a bit older, will only help your chances.