Switching to POP / Retail design

Thanks – this is much weightier information than I’d envisioned anyone would provide.

Also encouraging to see that you’ve continued in your niche for almost two decades. And I don’t mean that facetiously or sarcastically… I mean that its encouraging to see others who remain passionate about their work enough that they stick with it! I will always love furniture, but I feel that I’m growing out of it.

I found your comments about how the engineers in POP relate to designers quite amusing, and think that’s probably very true in any aspect of ID. I enjoyed working closely with engineers at each company Ive been with, but I know there were times when they just “didn’t get” what I was trying to achieve and it may have caused frustration on both sides. I just learned to live with the fact that they are not designers and I am not an engineer. I think engineers want everyone in the whole world to think just like them. Because there’s only ONE way to do everything! Am I right?

After you’ve explained all of these, the category most appealing to me is the Temporary. I’m much more interested in working with paperboard/corrugated cardboard. One of the absolute main draws is the idea that the flat material folds into a useful 3D object.

In furniture we’ve mostly used Solidworks and Autocad, but I haven’t any experience with Strata. Is it a steep learning curve?

How do others typically learn how to use Artios? Considering its not low cost…

Can you recommend any books or online resources?

Thank you again!!

*Btw I’m really digging your sketches in the link here. Damn fine work!