VR 3d modeling

I’m currently working on hololens development (so I can’t specifically speak for VR, but I figure it’s about the same process) and there are a few ways to go about converting your parametric model to mesh. The way you would do it really depends what you are building. An automatic conversion from an stl in solidworks leaves you with a huge number of faces which can really slow down your processor if your running a game or heavy animations. If it just a static model it should be fine though. I usually do one of two things since I’m best at modeling in solidworks. Save your solidworks model as an stl, import into blender or other mesh modeling program, reduce faces using the decimator (if your building more than a static object) and then export as a dae or obj, from there you can directly drop it into Unity. Also I’ve been messing with Simplygon which is a mesh reducer that is compatible with Unity. It seems to be a lot cleaner than Blender which tends to give you a pretty messy face layout (from stl) making it difficult to create accurate UV maps. For materials and textures, I would just build them in Unity.