What's your passion?

I love all of your responses and input! It is important to ask yourself questions and do a little soul searching. I have very real, defined passions in life that are outside of work. I think mainly in this post, I’m addressing more of passions in your career.

I think a lot of times you hear that if you don’t choose one thing to focus on then you will not be productive, you won’t ever advance, people will wonder why you have done so many different things and you will be seen as indecisive.
I don’t look at it this way. I think if you know a lot of different skills (in my case design skills such as: various software, marketing, graphic design, product design, architecture, sketching, 3D sculpture, fine art, construction skills, manufacturing, drafting, business management, PR and leadership) then you would be better off in any design position.
The problem is that the world and many businesses don’t see this as an advantage. Wouldn’t it be beneficial to employ a designer that knows how to design products well, while also keeping in mind manufacturing practices, marketing, and business strategies?
I’m currently working as a design engineer but I have big dreams. I’m in my late twenties and desire to have a career that utilizes my talents. I’m both creative and analytical. I have a technical degree as well as an Arts Business degree. I’m passionate about many areas of design. ( I have either took classes in or have experience with: architecture, interior design, graphic design, sculpture, casting, painting, and my current, product design.) The main thing that stands out and is common between all areas is that I desire to make products or perform services that help people. I have always been about this and it is a huge part to what gets me up in the morning.

One of my dreams is to be a manager. I’m not even sure in what area of design, probably industrial. I just know with the skill set and passions that I have, it would be a good fit. I just need more experience and a way to get there. Another dream of mine later on in life is to be an art or design professor. I’m sure a lot of people don’t dream about this but I do. I want to help young people develop their skills, and find jobs they will truly love. I love school, I love learning and I had some pretty unique professors that really influenced where I am today. I want to be that for college students.

With all that being said, am I dreaming too much or being unrealistic? Can you really make a living being interested in and doing many different design related projects? Do people ever celebrate this? I research top level managers and executives at companies and find their paths are all very similar and straight forward. Is there a chance for people out there like me who are good at and passionate about many different things?

I’m currently working on building a better portfolio on the side like what yo said, “Creating a space for yourself in the world where you can shine.”

Does anyone have tips (possibly on a hiring standpoint) on how I could best market myself as a multi-talented person in a good way, especially on a resume? Once, I’m in the interview, my passion is able to be shown through my personality which always does me well. It’s scoring the interview or getting noticed by hiring managers who only see your experience as indecisiveness.