What's your passion?

I’ve been thinking about this more, especially in light of what Ricky said. I think the important thing to do is to create a body of work that shows your broad interest. I get it, I think. I’m interested in every facet of design, from the tiniest on product graphic on the back panel to shop in shops and retail experience. People ask me what my specialty in design is all the time. I don’t have one. I’ve done everything from a tiny brand mark for a local restaurant to designing the corporate headquarters quarters at Sound United. I was pretty much equally excited about both… I try to show that breadth in my portfolio, but it is a difficult task. It can come off as schizophrenic. The right people tend to just get it though, “this guys loves it all”

Create a space for yourself in the world where you can shine, and I like Ricky’s approach about taking things one or two at a time. I started in consulting, then went down the path of footwear for almost 10 years, then went to innovation consulting, and now have been in CE for the past 5. They key is to not let other’s define you, and instead to create the definition yourself.

Post your work in the projects or portfolio forum!