/

//

They could have filled the positions without posting. HR policies change all of the time.

these are two of the biggest > “original” > ID firms out there.

WOW, I guess no design history taught at this school - maybe no interest.

I can’t comment on the current state of the ID job market. What I can say, is that you probably shouldn’t base your judgement entirely on whether or not Frog or IDEO have online postings for internships. It’s not a barometer of the job market.

When I was at frog I don’t think we posted intern positions. No need, we were flooded with portfolios all the time.

To Dan’s point. The “original” ID firms were Teague, Dreyfus, Lowey. I wouldn’t even call IDEO an ID frim and the ID practice at frog is a small fraction of their billable projects. They might not be seaking ID interns.

The question about broader implications, I wouldn’t infer that the profession is in a bad way because a couple of firms have not posted internship positions. I do think the trend is going toward smaller, more nimble design studios and ateliers.

The question about broader implications, I wouldn’t infer that the profession is in a bad way because a couple of firms have not posted internship positions. I do think the trend is going toward smaller, more nimble design studios and ateliers.[/quote]

I would also add that another trend is that some of the smaller firms are being bought up by large corporations as well. My experience over the last 20 years is that our profession is starting to get more and more momentum with Design thinkers and people with ID background being invited to the table vs having to try and convince why we should be at the table.

true, it is wacky world.

Mike and Maaike, bought by Google
Lunar, bought by McKinsey
frog, bought by Aricent
IDEO, bought by Steelcase, then bought back by the management

Interesting times.

The desired transactional experience:

student has portfolio —> (moonshot firm) advertises all over internet for interns ----> student cold emails portfolio —> (firm) emails student the next day —> student interviews a few weeks later —> student gets internship or job offer

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it doesn’t work this way. maybe 40 years ago.

What about Seymour Powell? Are they considered an OG ID firm?

nope, they are gen 2 like frog and IDEO, but I believe they are now owned by the Lowey Group. :slight_smile:

I was at frog with Yo a few years ago and currently still designing in the bay area. To be honest, consultancies in SF are feeling a bit of lull in the market right now, which is somewhat typical for this time of the year. Maybe that’s why you haven’t seen frog or IDEO post any intern / junior positions as of late.

Best way to get your foot in the door at a place like frog is to befriend someone who is currently working there and have them pass your work around to the team. Best of luck!