Suggestions for replacing a Honda Element

Hmm, this is a tough one. I think the reality is you won’t find any vehicles with that level of interior design quirk outside of the minivan space. Especially when it comes to modular/folding/removable seats.

The Subaru fits the niche. You would need to decide what you want to give up and where your threshold for unique-ness is. The Crosstrek is more unique, albeit smaller.

The BMW X1 is a similar boxy slightly awkward thing but has a much better driving dynamic. Couple that with some plastic monster mats for the trunk and rear seats and it would hold up to dog duty pretty well with the cheaper synthetic leather seats.

I personally also really like the Mazda CX-5 as just an all around good crossover.

We had a Jeep Cherokee which served wife’s daily and my mountain biking and camping needs pretty well (up until I got T-boned a few months ago, it died with grace). The new Compass looks great also. Reliability is never going to be the same as a Japanese car but that really leaves you with the typical bunch (Rav4, CRV, HR-V, etc).