Chef's knife

Ian… I know… mockups… :slight_smile: Just had time to play between meetings though.

maybe the plan view taper should go the other way… I need to mock it up! :slight_smile:

Love seeing the progression here, looks great! Have you explored the Japanese Style WA handle at all? I got my first WA handle Gyuto recently and I find it very comfortable.

Close.

But I would recommend Balsa Foam - Balsa Foam | BLICK Art Materials

Laminate by using Super 77.

Digging the new design with the three dots and circular ends!

If you decide to laminate layers of balsa wood sheets, I was thinking it might be helpful to put a drop of food coloring or ink in the wood glue used so you can clearly see where the boundary of each layer ends.

Looking good Michael! It’s not clear to me how the back tapers down right now. The pinky and back of the hand can cramp up if there’s not enough material back there. Depending on the handle material, tang, and butt design you go with, you may want to consider an endcap for balance since all of the rivets are pushed forward at the moment. Curious to see how it turns out.

I realize I haven’t updated this in awhile.

Some recent stuff.

Super cool!

What’s the handle material? I really like the texture too it. Kinda gives it a dot matrix look. Have you tried a full gradient from dark to light instead of with the darker stripe in the middle?

R

First thing I thought of was the old CBC logo… (and also Air Max 95/97)

Good idea Richard. I’ll have to play with that. The material is called Micarta. The solid layers are compressed recycled paper and the textured layers are compressed recycled canvas. The colors are pretty limited because the stuff was originally designed for industrial purposes. It gets grippy when wet though so chefs love it for knife handles.

I wanted to put up a video to show you the handle more in the round… Scott from Leucadia Custom Knives sent me two videos in the vertical orientation (what?!), so I had to edit them together, and then once I was editing them together I thought well let me add some process. Then once I added some process I thought now I need a voice over for context. Once I had that I thought, let me just add a background sound track… designers…

Cool. Sounds like a material material and really dig how it drove the design and topographic visual. Definitely the full gradient I think could work. Or I wonder how it could look if the layers were not oriented in the same plane as the handle so appeared more random.

Kinda like Damascus steel layers…

R

prototype 2. Added an extra layer which really helps the design and it feels better in the hand.

Are you sure about the shape of the handle? I have designed and manufactured dozens, so my question.
Regards

Looks really nice. Maybe just the video, but the colour and depth of the finish looks so much nicer now. Like a rich rosewood. I really dig it. Additional layer helps visually too. The shape also looks a bit rounder vs. Rectangular/squircle? Maybe not as Newson, but looks more comfy!

R

Thanks Richard, I’m really happy with how the design is evolving. There is some natural variation in the material, but I think most of it is just the lighting. I need to get that sample and do some high res, high quality shots. That was just a video the client texted me from his phone :slight_smile: Ah, the modern era.

working on some finishing details…

Wood sleeve?

R

Yes. They are called “sayas” … a little something to protect the blade… and you… when not in use.

Hmmm… never seen that on a knife.

What is it made from? Wouldn’t it dull the knife sliding in and out? Is that little dot feature some sort of lock?

R

It is pretty common in this circle. The dot is pin you pull out to get the knife out… sorry, typo, it is called a saya.