Overmolding alternatives, especially for tools

This crosses into the “ethics of being a designer” but I suppose there’s a certain extent at which you have to decide which battles you pick.

For example - you are fighting for a greener strategy on the overmold, but what about the lithium ion batteries which are also going to most likely end up getting thrown in the trash to eventually leach heavy metals into the earth? Overmold won’t break down, but it also is going to do a far less impact to the environment and can at least be burned.

We see Tesla’s as the green car, transportation of the future. But we blindside ourselves to the amount of energy needed to produce a new car in general, and the massive amount of batteries we’ll be dumping into the ground 5 or 10 years from now when your car won’t hold a charge. The environmental impact of issues like that suddenly makes you think “is this overmold the battle we need to win? or is it just the battle I feel like I can pick and feel good about”.

I would argue if that is your passion, there are plenty of areas where you can focus that energy. My sister in law is a green-architect who left her job entirely to focus on pushing for recycled and green materials in building construction. But I can tell you as a jaded designer that spending a decade making widgets means most people are going to sound like Slippy’s VP who realize that most of these are goose chases that won’t change the way consumers buy product, or the reality is the best product should be one that is designed and built to last forever - there’s a reason so many people say “they don’t make them like they used to”. My 4 year old, $600 Dyson just broke because it was made of plastic, but my mothers 1970’s electrolux still works like a tank. If Dyson cared about sustainability they’d build things that are tanks and that can be easily repaired, but unfortunately that’s not as profitable or sustainable business model.