The Future of Product Design(ers)

I couldn’t agree more.

You can also liken it to outsourcing any manufacturing. The politicians will continually talk about jobs lost. But the real loss, more so than any job, is the knowledge. Once that is gone, it take a tremendous amount of resources to gain it back. So much so I doubt you can be competitive.

Case in point. One of my bosses has a side project. He was pushing his wife around in a wheelchair and got tired. And like e-bikes, he wants to develop an electric-assisted wheelchair. He seems to be overly obsessed with weight and wants the frame to be a carbon layup. 5-7 years ago, I knew of a local place in Chicago that offered the service. They are gone. While there are places closer, the best at it are in Taiwan and that is where the boss is going for prototypes.

So before any jobs can be brought back, the knowledge needs to be brought back. And I highly recommend looking at employment at companies that emphasize an “innovation center”. Those are the ones that are interested in the knowledge and won’t go the way of the dinosaur.