Job Hunting Problems - Advice Needed!

Hi Jen,

As mentioned I’d get rid of the thermometers and also the infographics, try to keep your CV as simple as possible whilst still visually pleasing. I’d be tempted to argue that in our line of work a CV isn’t all that important as other fields as realistically it’s the portfolio which is the selling point. I’d also get rid of the blocks of orange, if you do get called into an interview then more than likely someone will print this out in B&W and it won’t look as vibrant as it does on screen.

I’ve attached my actual CV and the one that is the front page of my portfolio (both sent out in the same application). This current iteration has worked quite well for me recently as from it I’ve had a fair amount of good interviews and also secured two jobs from it. I used Dezeen and leManoosh to look for jobs in the UK and it was quite helpful. You may also want to use recruiters such as Adrem, Designtalent or Blackdot. Blackdot is run by Wayne Euston-Moore and he is quite well known in the UK design community and very helpful.

I have some more experience than yourself as I’m probably more middle-weight and although I’ve unfortunately jumped jobs quite a lot due to various reasons, my current portfolio is working quite well so perhaps it can be a bit of inspiration for you?

Here is my entire portfolio: Behance
Also my website: http://www.davidbulldesign.com/

Behance is a good tool to look at examples of work these days and get inspiration. It has helped me a lot over the years in making sure my skills are aligned with my peers. Finally, you say London for personal reasons but for me, I’ve got my experience by going to the work, otherwise I wouldn’t have any so try be more open minded if at all possible (plus it will be cheaper to live elsewhere!!)